Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#77770 07-30-2008 08:54 PM
Stephen Offline OP
OP Offline

Let me start with a disclaimer... I'm in awe by how much many of you have gone through and/or have ahead of you. My very young and inexperienced time with cancer has quickly demonstrated to me that I'm far from someone who's got it bad at all... I'm just posting here to quell some of my fears/benefit from your experiences.

Tomorrow I go under the knife. My cancer is at a stage and most often handled with surgery only unless something more is detected. That being said, I'm still a little scared... I think it's apprehension of:

- Going under and hopefully waking up from the Anesthesia
- The expected experience of what is seemingly only a moment for me (because of the Anesthesia) before I wake up to see a stranger's face while I'm in the recovery room waiting for the pain to sink in, desperate to know what the Dr. found, and unable to talk due to swelling

I've tried to stop myself all day thinking along this lines but it's there.

I realize that the pattern is really already in motion and at this point my participation is done other than being a lab rat and a spectator to the next several hours.

It's hard, but I try not to dwell on thoughts of not making it out of the procedure... trying to rationalize that this is simply a procedure not unlike a tooth extraction... but of tissue and possibly my hard palate.

All that being said, I lay here sleepless waiting for my 10:15am prep for 12:15pm surgery!

Age 37, low grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the upper right palate 7/15/2008, Never Used Tobacco, runner (3 marathons!), Shorin Ryu Karateka, Husband, Father of three (8,5,3)... and does this mean I can go skydiving now?
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Stephen:

Best of luck to you tomorrow. Surgery is always scary. Try to think of it as a step to being well. Wishing you an easy time of it and a speedy recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Stephen, I just have to answer you. I very well remember the night before surgery. I was out of town....had only met my surgeon late that afternoon, and he suggested that we go ahead with surgery the next morning. TOO fast! I lay awake in that hotel room thinking exactly what you have been thinking....

You WILL wake up. Don't even think about that.

I had a partial maxillectomy and partial palatectomy. I was sooooo afraid the night before.......and even after my husband went to sleep, I stayed awake, worrying, and writing in a notebook in the dark. Oh, I was such a sad, scared girl!

But, as you said, the wheels are in motion, and you've made whatever decisions were yours to make, and now all is in the hands of your surgeon and your God. I hope that you will try to sleep some tonight, even though you will get a good nap tomorrow.

Do you have a mild sleeping pill in the house? Don't take anything that's on your do-not-take list (mostly aspirin-based products .....read the list)....but please don't stay up all night alone worrying.

I think you'll find a new resolve when the sun comes up. The day will have begun, and you have no choice but to go through with this. You can wish that you didn't have to do it.....I sure did!!....but you know that you do, and you will find the strength to do it.

You will be in ICU the first night to be certain that you don't have any dangerous swelling. I didn't have any at all, and my surgery was in the exact location as yours.

I, also, did not need radiation or chemo, for which I am thankful, even though I begged for them at the time. I wanted to know that I had done all I could. They said that my case shouldn't call for it, and that if I ever had a recurrence....which they didn't expect me to have....i would still have a weapon to use--radiation.

You will do fine, and I am certain that after a certain period of time, you can have a fairly simple reconstruction done. If a person has to have this stuff, it sounds like you.....and I also..have been luckier than most, thank God. And I do. Often.

So, Stephen, I hope you read this before your surgery, but if you don't, you'll know that a Louisiana girl was thinking about you during your long night and your morning of surgery.

Vaya con Dios!

Write to us when you get home.

XOX--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
August #77776 07-30-2008 09:21 PM

One more thing, Stephen....

Don't apologize that your problem is not as bad as someone else's. It's plenty bad, and we're sorry you have it. Use the knowledge of others less fortunate as a way of giving thanks for your good fortune.

I will make you a bet: Those who have so much more to deal with are likely to be the most compassionate ones to the rest of us, whether our problems are as great as theirs or not.

I sure am sorry that you have to go through this,but I can tell that you will do just fine.

Take care.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
August #77783 07-30-2008 09:43 PM

Just in case you are still up.

Best wishes ... and yes you will wake up!

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
August #77784 07-30-2008 09:47 PM

Good luck to you, Stephen! I know exactly how scared you are - exactly. I have a terrible time with anesthesia myself, it makes me so nauseous and groggy and crappy feeling. And pain?? I hate pain. BUT - I've had plenty of surgeries and lots of anesthesia and even some pain and I'm still up and kicking. The next few days, maybe even weeks, are going to be tough but you will get through them, of that I am certain. If you can run a marathon, you can get through this!

My advice? Be an active patient. Tell them when and where it hurts, follow their instructions and don't be afraid to ask questions and always keep pushing for answers until you're satisfied. Think of this as a new kind of race and you will finish it with grace and style.

And please do stay in touch.

- Margaret

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018

Stephen,
Good morning. You will be OK. Treatment - surgery, radiation, chemo or whatever combo is definitly hard, possibly dangerous and involves much discomfort. Not having the proper treatment is definitly dangerous.
Have someone pick up the current (August) Reader's Digest for you to read when you are up to it. The article on page 150, "The Farther Shore," is by a man with a young child. The author has stage IV cancer of the tongue.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Malka #77789 07-31-2008 04:41 AM
Stephen Offline OP
OP Offline

You guys all rock... will post as soon as I can. 4hrs 35 min to blast off...

Age 37, low grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the upper right palate 7/15/2008, Never Used Tobacco, runner (3 marathons!), Shorin Ryu Karateka, Husband, Father of three (8,5,3)... and does this mean I can go skydiving now?
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

You'll be fine. Don't you have anyone that will be there in recovery with you when you wake up other than the RM nurse? My wife was the first person I saw and heard and that was comforting.

GOOD LUCK TODAY

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Once you get to the hospital, your brain will go on auto pilot. At least mine did. I do recall one funny incident -- I was in the pre-op/recovery area, with my wife there, and there was one doctor wandering kind of aimlessly around, with a very far-off and vacant look in his eyes. Finally, he comes over to my bed and asks "Are you Mr. Little? I'm your anesthesiologist." I'm thinking, "Oh no, you're not!" It turned out that my surgeon had changed the schedule around, and he was having to adjust on the fly.

You are in good hands, and time will go more quickly that you can imagine, especially if they put you on good painkillers! ;-) Good luck -- our thoughts are with you!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260