Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LauraT. Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi guys,

I had my biopsy done on Monday. I had a lot more anxiety than I knew. By the time I was in the doctor's office, my blood pressure was through the roof. I wasn't sure that my doctor could do the biopsy with my trismus. He was able to do it. Cut about 5mm on roof/upper palate and removed the "lump",lesion I had along with some surrounding tissue. He said it looks like a tiny growth of bone , and not sure what would have caused it. He said looks encouraging though. But we shall find out on Monday as long as things don't look bad. If they can't classify it, they will send it to DC.

Question, have any of you had bony growths appear? Any idea what would cause them? Trauma from radiation perhaps?

I have another issue. I have a porceline/gold bridge that seems to be a little loose. This bridge is not that old, and shouldn't be loose (atleast in my opinion) quite yet. Ive read that radiation can change the bite, etc...and that in turn could cause problems for dental work you've had done as well as cause new problems. I didn't think to ask anything about my bridge prior to starting my treatments, and now I don't have access to fully covered medical and oral surgery like I had before moving.

Have any of you been able to get your oral surgery, dental fixtures, dentures or other dental related problems, covered under your medical insurance instead or along with your dental, since obviously your going to have problems caused from the cancer and radiation (which are medical problems ?). I hope I made sense there. It's just that I have always taken extremely good care of my teeth, no cavities etc....the only reason I have a bridge is because I had a tooth knocked out when I was a kid , crown broke and ended up having to go with a bridge... Also, non smoker,non drinker...so dental problems for me are more than likely caused from my cancer and tx. I sure wish we didn't have to worry about insurance etc on top of cancer and medical issues we have.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura T T2NOMO Small Salivary Gland Cancer
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Sounds like great news.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Laura,
I've got my fingers crossed that biopsy are good - sure sounds positive from your report!

As for insurance issues - I haven't yet had any major dental needs (and hopefully won't!), but I did spend two hours on the phone with my insurance company trying to find out if they would cover Therabite for my trismus. Eventually I was told that it would be put into the "out of network deductible" column. So - I guess it is technically "covered" - but I'll be paying for it out of pocket since I have a $6000 out of network deductible. In the back of my head I do worry about the cost of possible future dental needs and firmly believe that they should be covered under my medical insurance. I hope other people report back to tell us if they've had any luck!

Lisa
36 years old at diagnosis
SCC of the tongue T2N2bM0 Stage IV
post hemi glossectomy and neck dissection (3/28/07), finished 6 weeks of radiation and Cisplatin x2 6/19/07. Biopsy taken from right side of tongue 7/17/08 - results showed infected abscess and no return of SCC!

I know I said I was out of here, but I came in to print my boarding passes.

I did have tiny bony growths that keep poking out from my jaw bone for several months after radiation. This was in the area in which the doctor had taken several small biospies to attempt to find the 'unknown primary'. I do hope yours is just radiation related.

Off to Florida,

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Laura,

Sounds likely that you had a bone spicule there like Eileen described. Hoping that it turns out to be that and the biopsy is negative.

Your bridge being loose isn't going to definately be a problem. As long as the teeth aren't decayed underneath, it can just be recemeted. You should get it checked out by your general dentist as soon as possible as a loose bridge left like that, can lead decay in the supporting teeth rather quickly.

Good luck with the results of the biopsy.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
LauraT. Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you to all who responded to my posts. My biopsy results are in and no sign of cancer, was told it looked like scar tissue!

I feel like I can focus on other things that need my attention. Going to be walking in the Great Strides walk for Cystic Fibrosis for my 8 yr old daughter on May 18th. It should be a nice day, one that myself and my family can fight back at another ugly disease.

Laura

P.S. going to try to add a link for my daughter's Great Strides montage

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...p;utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Laura that is wonderful news! Good luck on the walk for your daughter's CF.

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Great news and walk on.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Yahoo!

Cancer of Tongue, SCC early Stage 1, Dx 3/13/07, partial glossectomy 4/14/07 found no residual carcinoma and a granular cell tumor with pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia.
LauraT. Offline OP
OP Offline

Goodmorning,

Anyone have any idea how long I might expect to have the biopsy area take to heal? It's been 8 days and still pretty sore and tender. I know it will probably take longer being that Ive had radiation, but I had a problem in the past with an area that did not heal and ended up with my jaw bone being exposed. And how can you tell if it is (other than oozing) infected?

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...p;utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url
thanks,
Laura

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912