Posted By: LauraT. Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-03-2008 12:16 AM
Hi guys,

I had my biopsy done on Monday. I had a lot more anxiety than I knew. By the time I was in the doctor's office, my blood pressure was through the roof. I wasn't sure that my doctor could do the biopsy with my trismus. He was able to do it. Cut about 5mm on roof/upper palate and removed the "lump",lesion I had along with some surrounding tissue. He said it looks like a tiny growth of bone , and not sure what would have caused it. He said looks encouraging though. But we shall find out on Monday as long as things don't look bad. If they can't classify it, they will send it to DC.

Question, have any of you had bony growths appear? Any idea what would cause them? Trauma from radiation perhaps?

I have another issue. I have a porceline/gold bridge that seems to be a little loose. This bridge is not that old, and shouldn't be loose (atleast in my opinion) quite yet. Ive read that radiation can change the bite, etc...and that in turn could cause problems for dental work you've had done as well as cause new problems. I didn't think to ask anything about my bridge prior to starting my treatments, and now I don't have access to fully covered medical and oral surgery like I had before moving.

Have any of you been able to get your oral surgery, dental fixtures, dentures or other dental related problems, covered under your medical insurance instead or along with your dental, since obviously your going to have problems caused from the cancer and radiation (which are medical problems ?). I hope I made sense there. It's just that I have always taken extremely good care of my teeth, no cavities etc....the only reason I have a bridge is because I had a tooth knocked out when I was a kid , crown broke and ended up having to go with a bridge... Also, non smoker,non drinker...so dental problems for me are more than likely caused from my cancer and tx. I sure wish we didn't have to worry about insurance etc on top of cancer and medical issues we have.

Thanks,
Laura

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-03-2008 04:23 AM
Sounds like great news.
Posted By: lisa7594 Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-03-2008 07:13 AM
Hi Laura,
I've got my fingers crossed that biopsy are good - sure sounds positive from your report!

As for insurance issues - I haven't yet had any major dental needs (and hopefully won't!), but I did spend two hours on the phone with my insurance company trying to find out if they would cover Therabite for my trismus. Eventually I was told that it would be put into the "out of network deductible" column. So - I guess it is technically "covered" - but I'll be paying for it out of pocket since I have a $6000 out of network deductible. In the back of my head I do worry about the cost of possible future dental needs and firmly believe that they should be covered under my medical insurance. I hope other people report back to tell us if they've had any luck!
Posted By: Eileen Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-03-2008 02:21 PM
I know I said I was out of here, but I came in to print my boarding passes.

I did have tiny bony growths that keep poking out from my jaw bone for several months after radiation. This was in the area in which the doctor had taken several small biospies to attempt to find the 'unknown primary'. I do hope yours is just radiation related.

Off to Florida,

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-03-2008 05:58 PM
Laura,

Sounds likely that you had a bone spicule there like Eileen described. Hoping that it turns out to be that and the biopsy is negative.

Your bridge being loose isn't going to definately be a problem. As long as the teeth aren't decayed underneath, it can just be recemeted. You should get it checked out by your general dentist as soon as possible as a loose bridge left like that, can lead decay in the supporting teeth rather quickly.

Good luck with the results of the biopsy.

Jerry
Posted By: LauraT. Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-06-2008 04:29 AM
Thank you to all who responded to my posts. My biopsy results are in and no sign of cancer, was told it looked like scar tissue!

I feel like I can focus on other things that need my attention. Going to be walking in the Great Strides walk for Cystic Fibrosis for my 8 yr old daughter on May 18th. It should be a nice day, one that myself and my family can fight back at another ugly disease.

Laura

P.S. going to try to add a link for my daughter's Great Strides montage

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...p;utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url
Posted By: luvmyhubby Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-06-2008 06:00 AM
Laura that is wonderful news! Good luck on the walk for your daughter's CF.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-06-2008 12:33 PM
Great news and walk on.
Posted By: Suess57 Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-07-2008 04:21 AM
Yahoo!
Posted By: LauraT. Re: Biopsy done, waiting for results - 05-07-2008 02:45 PM
Goodmorning,

Anyone have any idea how long I might expect to have the biopsy area take to heal? It's been 8 days and still pretty sore and tender. I know it will probably take longer being that Ive had radiation, but I had a problem in the past with an area that did not heal and ended up with my jaw bone being exposed. And how can you tell if it is (other than oozing) infected?

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...p;utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url
thanks,
Laura
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum