Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Oh my gosh... this is a total rollercoaster ride! Quick update, on Wed they tried to do it thru his mouth and the tube wouldn't fit down his throat because the tumor is closing in on both sides. Thursday, they attempted the PEG but couldn't do it because his colon and liver are in front of his stomach. So NOW, they want him to have it done with a surgeon in the OR to see if it can de done that way. Here's the kicker... can't see the darn doctor until NEXT Wednesday for a consult, with the surgery scheduled for NEXT Friday!!! All the while, he is having difficulty eating. Poor Guy! The radiologist and the surgeon are going back and forth with each other because the radiologist doesn't want treatment interupted, and the surgeon says, but he needs food. So that is why surgery on a friday, so he doesnt miss treatment. He will have to be in hospital for a few days. I know those of you who have been through all of this can understand and sympathize. I just want him to be able to have some nourishment at this point!!! frown

Thanks for always being here to answer my questions,listen to me vent, and to lift me up! LOVE this message board!

Dad: Age 65 Heavy smoker/drinker. Biopsy-No surgery. Cancer base of tongue/throat. "Invasive Squamous Carcinoma RRT" --Beginning 1/9/08: IMRT treatments (5X/wk),chemo pills (4/day) and Chemo IV (once/wk) PEG tube inserted 1/25/08. Treatments ended 2/26/08

JUNE 30, 2008 Officially CANCER FREE!!!
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

I did not have the Peg but my RO also was pretty adamant about not interrupting the rad schedule. I remember I was admitted to the hospital due to everything in my last week of rad and I was one sick weak puppy. They wheeled me into the rad room and nuked me anyway. I didn't miss one rad Tx my entire time and I was lucky as their IMRT machine did break down a few times, just not so it affected me. Brian knows more about this than I but I did read some articles discussing the trend towards more rad sooner in an effort to deliver the most killing juice as soon as possible. I believe studies may have indicated a better kill rate than the same rad dose over the traditional 7 weeks.

Is there just no way to get him to swallow anything on his own?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

David,

Bill's RO quoted us 10-15% better cure rate with hyperfractionated rads...but also said that it is a pretty rough way to go and if you have to stop while receiving this due to too severe side effects, you have lost some of the "oomph." Bill opted for it...twice a day for 31.5 days (skipped three days the last week due to neutropenia and fever) but finished the total course. So, did it make a difference????...guess we won't know...all we will know is if it was successful or not.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

What a mess. I hope your father has some kind of distraction.

I had the PEG put in by a surgeon. Tell your Dad it's just another thing to put up with but at least he will be able to "eat" and build up his strenght.

With prayers for an easy week until then.

Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
OP Offline

[quote=Malka]What a mess. I hope your father has some kind of distraction.

I had the PEG put in by a surgeon. Tell your Dad it's just another thing to put up with but at least he will be able to "eat" and build up his strenght.

With prayers for an easy week until then.

Malka [/quote]

Thank you. It has been very hard on him. He is angry, frusrtated that he cannot eat, and just wants to get this going. I am sure you can relate. How are you doing with it? How long have you had it in? Any thing I should be aware of with it that I can share with my Mom? (I live 2 hours away from them.) Any and all information of expectations are appreciated.

smile

Dad: Age 65 Heavy smoker/drinker. Biopsy-No surgery. Cancer base of tongue/throat. "Invasive Squamous Carcinoma RRT" --Beginning 1/9/08: IMRT treatments (5X/wk),chemo pills (4/day) and Chemo IV (once/wk) PEG tube inserted 1/25/08. Treatments ended 2/26/08

JUNE 30, 2008 Officially CANCER FREE!!!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Your poor father. Its a shame he is having such a rough time already. I had my PEG and port installed the end of July, a week before my treatments started, in the OR by a surgeon. From what I remember I was very sore, I was given alot of morphine for pain. I also stayed overnight in the hospital one night. The doctor had to loosen the PEG tube because it was too tight. Once its in its really no big deal anymore. One thing you might want to pick up is antibiotic cream. After a shower, I put some around the PEG tube on my stomach, I then cover it with a gauze pad. For the feedings, I use Two-Cal, its prescription liquid feeding nutrition. You or your mom might want to check with the doctor about a prescription for the feeding cans. Mine is covered by my insurance. I have it delivered along with the gauze pads and syringes. I also have a feeding machine they gave me (also thru insurance) that I use at night. Hopefully you have a medical supply/equipment place in your area who will do all the insurance work and deliver everything to your parents home. One more important thing to tell your dad, once he has the PEG no lifting anything heavy. That includes shoveling snow. Has your father tried ensure, boost or any of the carnation drinks? That will help him to keep his stength up.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I "received" the PEG while in the hospital for mandibulectomy and ND. I am not sure at what stage of hospitalization but it was sometime after surgery. I was due to have a swallow test and possibly have it removed about a month after surgery. That would have been the first week of August. However, we live in New Orleans and that is the week that the infamous Madam Katrina decided to pay a visit to our area.
Not all my meds were available in liquid form. It would be advisable to be prepared ahead of time for this possibility. Tell your Mom to check his meds. If any will need to be crushed she should buy a pill crusher/splitter combo and test the meds. The 1st one I got did not do too well so I got another. Also, ask nutritionist in the hospital what if any vitamins he should be on. Don't take "a good multi-vitamin" as an answer. I recently discovered that the one I had been taking for years had much more of some ingredients than I needed. Your pharmacist should be able to help with this as well.

Another suggestion from a practical side is to put an old towel on his lap when he pours stuff into the tube.

Let him know that he is not going through this alone. If it is possible get a laptop to him so he can communicate with others on the forum himself. It must be terribly frustrating for him to be so dependant on others.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Deb,

I was treated in the summer of 06 and was not told nor given the option of hyper rad Txs as you referred to them. I'm glad because I would have probably opted for them not realizing what I would have gone thru as I had a rough enough time the "normal" gruesome way.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Ihave a 1952 Shelby bike david. And a 1985 sears lady's free spirit tha has been ridden 3 times. LOL some nut was gonna scrap it fo gas money. I gave him a $5 for it and he left happy. Maybe someday we can go riding. LOL I have to rebuild the shelby but I do have ev erything but the seat. Yep, I'm a collector of anything old. I think they call it senility. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Larrysdaughter,, I can't express how bad I feel for your Dad with all the unknowns he has going. I can understand his wanting to get it started and over with. I wish you both nothing but the best.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users