Marica Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi All,

I just found out this is

" Mouth/Oral Cancer Awareness Week "
in the United Kingdom.
With lots of info available to the public.

Do we have this here in the USA?
If yes, when is it?
If not.... can we make it happen?
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi All
There has been a terrific response from the media over this. Oral cancer sufferers have been on the TV, giving talks in school, trying to educate people about the causes of oral cancer.
So if us Brits can do it I'm sure the Yanks can do it better!!!!!!
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Marica,

There is an Oral Cancer Awareness Week in April every year. Next year I believe it is the week of April 17-21.

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
Marica Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Barb,
I wish we could get as much publicity as the UK seems to get!
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Well, in New York City, a group of teaching hospitals and dental schools has formed a group called the Oral Cancer Consortium and they do free oral cancer screenings on the Thursday of that week at different sites throughout the city of New York, the state of New York and New Jersey. The get some media attention on the most watched news station in New York City, newspapers, etc., and have some success. This year they are really trying to make it much more successful -- significantly increase the number of screenings done -- and I am trying to help them.

You could bring some attention to it in your area by contacting the health reporter at your local paper (if you are in Atlanta, may this might not work, but if you are in a smaller community, it might), letting them know about oral cancer awareness week, telling your husband's story, how important early detection is, tell about the oral cancer foundation. Reporters are always looking for stories and they might take you up on it and help spread the word about early detection.

Give it a try -- if we all try, we could make a big difference.

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I know people tend to visit the board here regularly but frequently neglect to wander around the tons of pages of the main web site. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/events/index.htm

Please note that I have spent alot of time via OCF to asssemble many of the organizations you see listed here. While I feel it is important to make this one week a big splash, I am concerned that as we build this, oral cancer gets forgotten the rest of the year by just about all these participants. Don't forget if you recruit a hospital, dental school, etc. to tell then to contact OCF for the literature to hand out during their screening event., and informatikon we can provide them about how to hold a successful event.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23