Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61803 09-19-2007 03:35 AM
amy b Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi. I realize this question is not going to have a single answer, but I am looking for some feedback please as to what people's experiences have been...

My mom is scheduled for her first set of scans on 10/9 - 7 and a half weeks after her treatments were complete. I don't know what to expect, and more importantly, I don't know how the results will impact her day to day life after the scans. I know there are a lot of possibilities, with the best being that everything is gone. I also realize that is a long shot given that from what I read she may still have hot spots and could get some false positives.

Then we have the two other outcomes (again, overly simplified because I feel like there are thousands, but these are the two that weigh on me)... If the scans come back and there are still signs of cancer, do many people resume a normal life? Is it unrealistic to think that she can still survive for a long period of time if there is still cancer in her? Or, worse, if the scans show that the cancer has spread, or not responded, what happens? Will the doctors tell us if she should be put in hospice, or is this a decision my mother makes?

I am the only person involved who seems to be doing any research and don't want to be caught off guard when we find out the results. I honestly must think of this at least every 10 minutes.

Everyone here has been so helpful. I wish I could thank each one of you individually. I don't know what I would do without this board.

Amy

Caretaker to my best friend, my mom. Age 60 - never smoked or drank. St IVA oropharynx. 37 radiation tx, 8 carboplatin tx. Diag 5/31/07-TX completed 8/16/07-good PET 10/10/07. Passed away 3/28/08 due to weakened blood vessels from tx. Now watching over her triplet grandsons born on 5/19/08.
#61804 09-19-2007 08:25 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Amy the fact that you are aware of all the possibilities is great .On the other hand it can be a curse because you are overthinking the possibilities.
The simple answer is there is no answer.

Until the minute you sit in the Doctors office and get the results and look at their faces and hear their words no one can tell you what the outcome will be.

I can only tell you that in my experience limited though it is ,they are usually pretty up front, and will tell you like it is.What you do with that information will be up to your Mum and you.You may have choices or you may not,but come back and tell us how it goes and i am sure once you know for definate you will get all the help and advice you could possibly want.

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#61805 09-19-2007 08:56 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

What Liz said.

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
#61806 09-19-2007 08:58 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Amy,
My 'story' went from bad to worse!
I also had all my own thoughts about 'what is normal life/what do I want', then had some hope with seriously radical surgery involved, which I wasn't sure I could face, then it all changed again to 'incurable/no point in surgery'.
Had decided wouldn't put myself thro chemo simply to 'prolong life/suffer in the meantime'--but one look at my partner's face and I decided to 'give it a go'--and hey, it's not been bad!
My nearest and dearest have all said they will go with whatever I want/decide to do.
And I can tell you that I am enjoying every moment of every day---it's all a bonus--and it feels 'normal'!
And yes, one of the decisions is that it will ultimately be Hospice for me--have already visited, and Cookey and Petey B on here reassured very much about that.
Talk to your mom, she will have her own thoughts, but be prepared for those thoughts to change, whatever the outcome.
You are a lovely thoughtful daughter to be thinking about all this and researching it.

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
#61807 09-19-2007 03:11 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear Amyb- please-please-please try to enjoy as much of each day you and your Mom have together now. Stressing over this will not change the outcome of her scans, but it could make you sick and keep her worried about you. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users