Hi. I realize this question is not going to have a single answer, but I am looking for some feedback please as to what people's experiences have been...

My mom is scheduled for her first set of scans on 10/9 - 7 and a half weeks after her treatments were complete. I don't know what to expect, and more importantly, I don't know how the results will impact her day to day life after the scans. I know there are a lot of possibilities, with the best being that everything is gone. I also realize that is a long shot given that from what I read she may still have hot spots and could get some false positives.

Then we have the two other outcomes (again, overly simplified because I feel like there are thousands, but these are the two that weigh on me)... If the scans come back and there are still signs of cancer, do many people resume a normal life? Is it unrealistic to think that she can still survive for a long period of time if there is still cancer in her? Or, worse, if the scans show that the cancer has spread, or not responded, what happens? Will the doctors tell us if she should be put in hospice, or is this a decision my mother makes?

I am the only person involved who seems to be doing any research and don't want to be caught off guard when we find out the results. I honestly must think of this at least every 10 minutes.

Everyone here has been so helpful. I wish I could thank each one of you individually. I don't know what I would do without this board.

Amy

Caretaker to my best friend, my mom. Age 60 - never smoked or drank. St IVA oropharynx. 37 radiation tx, 8 carboplatin tx. Diag 5/31/07-TX completed 8/16/07-good PET 10/10/07. Passed away 3/28/08 due to weakened blood vessels from tx. Now watching over her triplet grandsons born on 5/19/08.