Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6106 09-14-2005 04:20 AM
OP Offline

i have now two months sincemy removal of scc and the marginal and my neck desection. now to gt my dentures r e done i find this scarey as they told me the way i got scc was frm the mother who had cancer and a denture irration. i never rem this irration it was just oola there a lesion. so any one have feed bk of what i can rinse the mouth with or what to do for a irration as soon as it comes. my occ dr said if a sore does not heal in a week gt bk to him but wonderd what any one else did to aide. also note i smoked but gave it up 15 ys ago and said this still made the dif of gtting scc thanks for any im put rd

rd
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

rd, please type more carefully because it is really difficult to understand your question.

From what I have read, the idea that dentures cause SCC is proven to be false. Perhaps others will comment.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
OP Offline

sorry what i was told by my occ dr was a denture irratation was the cause of the scc tumor on my tounge and the fact my mom had cancer and i smoked 15 yrs ago he said i must make a point that if a denture irration does not clear up in a week i must go bk to him hope this makes it clear rd

rd
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

rd,

I am a dental hygienist and I want to explain that it is not the denture that caused your cancer, but many people who wear dentures do not go to the dentist for semi-annual examinations like they should. Small lesions that may be mistaken as a denture sore are not caught until much later because no one is examining the tissue regularly. Don't be afraid of your new denture -- but please see your occ doctor and your dentist regularly for exams so that anything suspicious can be checked out early.

good luck,

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
OP Offline

thanks as found it is a irrattion that went bd the dr said . i found the old set of detures now do not fit and will need to save bucks to get a new pair as the jaw is dif and the toungue scc removal has changed the shape of my moouth does any one know of any grants offerd for any one who had ca and needs dentures as i have no insurance thanks

rd
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

rd,

I don't know of any grants, but if you live near any dental schools you can get a good set of dentures made there, usually inexpensively. If you do go to a dental school, go to the department of prosthodontics to have your dentures made. Those are dentists who specialize in replacing teeth and have extra training in making dentures.

Good luck,

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23