Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

I am now 14 months post surgery, and 11 months post radiation treatments.

For many months now I have had problems with my lower teeth. My jaw aches all the time, and 4 teeth are very loose. My gums have also receeded a lot, and frankly it looks hideous - not to mention the pain and discomfort.

Then this week my face and neck swelled up so much that I looked like Marlon Brando in the Godfather!! Having returned to see my surgeon and had x-rays, they are telling me that it looks like I have 3 or 4 absesses in my jaw. This is very painful, so I'm back to not eating......

I am on medication to treat the infection, and have to return next week. They tell me that I have 6 dead teeth on the bottom, probably due to the radiation treatments. It looks like these will have to come out, and I have to decide what I want to do in terms of replacing them.

I am told that I cannot have screw in teeth as the jawbone will not hold them, so my option is to have false teeth on a plate.

I know that I should not worry about this, and should be thankful simply to be surviving, but I feel that my realtionship with my husband might suffer. I just cannot even imagine what it would be like to kiss with missing teeth.

I know that some of you have had dental work done post radiation, and would welcome any advice - either about what work I could have done, or about relationship/kissing issues for gummy persons!! frown

Debbie T, from Southampton, UK. Cancer of tongue - stage 2(diagnosed 04/03). 45% tongue removed and reconstructed from left forearm, plus radical neck dissection (06/03). All followed by 33 sessions of radiotherapy (ended 09/03). Diagnosed at 43. Non -smoker, social drinker, don't know why!
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I had my teeth removed pre-treatment. My dentist removed all my teeth except 12 incisors. I am to see my dentist Monday the 15th about getting a rubber prosthetic device. Implants are not an option until at least 3 years after radiation treatments.
I know very little about this rubber prosthetic device but as I understand it's application it anchors like a bridge and has no full plate covering the palate.
I will let you know when I know more about he device.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
OP Offline

Thank you Darrell.
I will be very interested to know what this rubber device is. I am told that I cannot have a bridge due to the damage it will cause to existing healthy teeth. I am not sure if we have these items you mention here in the UK, but if you can find out what it is called I can ask my surgeon.

Debbie T, from Southampton, UK. Cancer of tongue - stage 2(diagnosed 04/03). 45% tongue removed and reconstructed from left forearm, plus radical neck dissection (06/03). All followed by 33 sessions of radiotherapy (ended 09/03). Diagnosed at 43. Non -smoker, social drinker, don't know why!

Debbie, I had two mollars pulled in the right side of my mouth (#3,33) before rad/chemo. I will be getting bridges for both before the end of the year. In addition, like you I had damage to the gums and teeth in the bottom middle incisors. All 4 need to be pulled and I will also have a bridge for those. Why won't your dentist do a bridge? The healthy teeth are just filed down to allow the bridge to fit on them. I have a bridge already on the top left side all the way around to the top right middle (three teeth to the right of the center line). No problems with any of this. I can't imagine why there is concern of damage to the healthy teeth. You might want to get a second opinion on that.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I lost the left bottom teeth when that part of my jawbone was removed and I am going to have implants. I don't understand why some people are told they cannot have these? I have spoken with a man in my area that had the implants done, top AND bottom, and he had radiation. Another poster on here, Joanne, has had implants.
When I was given all the options, implants seemed to be able to make my mouth closer to normal.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Minnie is talking about me. Just a few months post rad, my bottom front teeth began to break off. They were very dead. I had hyperbaric oxygen treatments which caused new capillaries to form in the radiated mandible. 30 treatments, then the implant bases were inserted into the bone. This was followed by 10 more HBO treatments. The oral surgeon said that after the HBO, the bone bled just like unradiated bone. At the end of this month I will see the dentist for molds for the permanent implants, which are some kind of a bridge which screws onto the implanted posts. I have all this time had an upper plate. I am so used to it that even though I said I was going to get upper implants too, I may not as it works very well and I am just not aware of it now. Because two of the original five implants failed to integrate, they were redone and the clock was set for another six months. The dentist took pity on me and fashioned some faux bottom teeth which snap on over the posts. These, with the upper plate, look much better than my real teeth ever did. I am not supposed to chew with these, otherwise I would be happy to just keep what I have. And yes, one can kiss quite nicely with these faux teeth (grin). Ask your dentist or radiation oncologist for a referral to a dentist who specializes in implants. A friend, who had no radiation, just bad, bad teeth, had her weak jaw built up with some powdered bone so she could support implants, and she has had a mouth full of them for five years. The message here, is not to give up!

OP Offline

Thank you so much everyone! I will ask my surgeon and dentist again - and in a lot more detail. Sometimes it is just knowing how to challenge them by asking the right questions isn't it?

I most certainly will not give up!!

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi, My husband had nasopharynx cancer and is eleven months post radiation. All of his teeth have decayed from radiation and he needed to have them all pulled out two weeks ago. He had 20 hyperbaric treatments before surgery and 10 treatments after. Implants have been mentioned but oral surgeon and radiation oncologist say not right now. Try dentures first, implants can always come later. There is a risk of infection with implants which I think my husband is not willing to take at this time.. He will go next week to talk about treatment plan and get fitted for dentures. HBO treatments seem to do the job of helping the gums heal. He had no trouble healing. Eileen

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You need to see a maxillofacial prosthodontist that preferably also specializes in patients who have had cancer. I had my 16 rear teeth pulled to radiation. I now have two partials. They capped my 4 eye teeth(insisors?) and there is a ball and pin snap device on the back of each cap that the partials snap into. There are quite comfortable and have the advantage of starting my saliva production when I pop them in in the morning. You're not supposed to wear them to bed. He would like me ot get implants, but thus far, I am happy with these for the last 6 years. As to kissing, nothing has changed for me and hubby hasn't said anything.

Took me four prosthodontists before I found one who would even consider making me teeth and he didn't think it was any problem, but he deals with complicated cancer cases as his stock in trade. So don't give up, you just need to find the right guy.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My understanding of the reluctance of some oral surgeons to attempt implants in radiated tissue is twofold. One, the blood supply to radiated areas is compromised and gets worse over time. Two, it is more difficutl to watch for recurrence with implants.

It is good to hear about Joanna's experience with HBO treatments. Sounds like that is something that would benefit all radiated oral cancer patients.

I was told to wait at least 2 years post Tx before even thinking of implants. I'm now thinking about a bridge instead. - Sheldon

Dx 1/29/04, SCC, T2N0M0
Tx 2/12/04 Surgery, 4/15/04 66 Gy. radiation (36 sessions)
Dx 3/15/2016, SCC, pT1NX
Tx 3/29/16 Surgery
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members