Hi everyone,

I am now 14 months post surgery, and 11 months post radiation treatments.

For many months now I have had problems with my lower teeth. My jaw aches all the time, and 4 teeth are very loose. My gums have also receeded a lot, and frankly it looks hideous - not to mention the pain and discomfort.

Then this week my face and neck swelled up so much that I looked like Marlon Brando in the Godfather!! Having returned to see my surgeon and had x-rays, they are telling me that it looks like I have 3 or 4 absesses in my jaw. This is very painful, so I'm back to not eating......

I am on medication to treat the infection, and have to return next week. They tell me that I have 6 dead teeth on the bottom, probably due to the radiation treatments. It looks like these will have to come out, and I have to decide what I want to do in terms of replacing them.

I am told that I cannot have screw in teeth as the jawbone will not hold them, so my option is to have false teeth on a plate.

I know that I should not worry about this, and should be thankful simply to be surviving, but I feel that my realtionship with my husband might suffer. I just cannot even imagine what it would be like to kiss with missing teeth.

I know that some of you have had dental work done post radiation, and would welcome any advice - either about what work I could have done, or about relationship/kissing issues for gummy persons!! frown

Debbie T, from Southampton, UK. Cancer of tongue - stage 2(diagnosed 04/03). 45% tongue removed and reconstructed from left forearm, plus radical neck dissection (06/03). All followed by 33 sessions of radiotherapy (ended 09/03). Diagnosed at 43. Non -smoker, social drinker, don't know why!