Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pumpkin Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I am very angry at my father's radiation oncologist and am looking for some advice...

My dad finished radiation on Nov. 3rd. During treatment he was hospitilized for almost 2 weeks (very low WBC count, drug reaction, horrible mouth sores, etc.) He seemed to be doing better 2 weeks after treatment ended... he was awake more, talking much better, mouth healed, up and around, joking, etc. Then he seemed to get worse and worse. Now the swelling under his neck has come back in full force, his speech is barely understandable (he did not have surgery), he sleeps 24/7, and the mouth sores have gotten worse. We thought he was improving and now has taken 2 steps backwards.

Anyway... his first follow-up appt. with the rad. onc. was suppose to be today (9th) and the Dr's office called yesterday at 4 PM!!! to tell us that the doctor cancelled his appt. and isn't going to be back until LATE Dec. I find this completely UNACCEPTABLE!!! especially with his prior history - I would think they would keep a close eye on him!

I want to know if waiting this long (2 months) is normal and I am overreacting or should I be finding a new doctor to see him ASAP. We are all going nuts waiting to see the effects of the radiation and also wondering if & when he will need surgery (they could not do surgery prior to rad.) Any suggestions would be great! Thanks ahead of time!

Diana
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Diana,
I would be furious too. This is a scary time for all of you. Your doctor MUST have someone covering for him while he is on vacation. Why don't you see if you can get in there ASAP? If not there is always the ER.
Good luck.....
God bless
Judy U

Judy U
Stage I SCC floor of mouth, left radical neck dissection 8/03
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Diana, your father's case is really unbearable and the doctor is simply irresponsible. If he is occupied by something more urgent than his patient's life, he should get others to take care of your father. I can't imagine such thing happens in a civilized country. Judging from what you described, your father needs to be attended to asap. Can it be of help if you talk to the senior management of the hospital and get a solution? Time is important.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

This is completely unacceptable and irresponsible at best. The doctor should have another doctor covering his patients during his absense. Did you ask abou this? If one is not available, please get another oncologist to intervene right now. This may be post treatment swelling, an infection that has taken hold, (which is dangerous) it may be a remaining part of the original cancer, if surgery was not done to remove the lymph nodes. DO NOT WAIT SEVERAL WEEKS FOR THIS PUTZ TO GET BACK INTO TOWN.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Pumpkin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to everyone for your speedy responses!

1- Called Rad. Onc. and told them the situation was completely unacceptable and I wanted an appt. ASAP with another Dr. They were understanding and told me they will call back within the hr. with an appointment. We'll see!

2- Got an appointment for Monday with his other oncologist (chemo?)

3- Called main oncologist's office (sorry I don't know the proper terminology - surgery Dr.)and explained the situation to them - am waiting for him to call me back!

I will let you know how everything goes! Thanks again.

Diana
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Good for you!

Let us know how things turn out

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics