Next Thread
Print Thread
#51538 05-27-2006 03:58 AM
herson Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hey everyone,

My mom has cancer, .. its in stage 2, growth on the tongue, less than 2 cm's ..and hasn't spread yet ..waiting for an MRI .. we went to Toronto General to meet an ENT,...

Wanted to know where i could get my mom the best cancer support/care.. i couldn't find to much on cancer centers in ontario, ..is most cancer care/support done in hospitals??

thanks again,
H

the world brought me to my knees...
Update: Feb 10/08: Mom passed away on Jan 31,08 - infection (unknown) in her lungs with her weakened immune system resulted in cardiac arrest - T2NO SCC of tongue surgery 6/30/06, SCC left neck and lungs detected Sept 07, 7 weeks rad/3 rounds chemo had no effect.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I can't advise about medical care in Ontario but I can you this, that having a coordinated team of doctors is vital for cancer treatment. The institutional setting is the best route for this.
Some here have had their treatment in Canada and I sure that they will respond as soon as they catch up. Brian may have information to help you.

I found a fair amount of information doing a Google search for "cancer centers in Canada". Here is one of them:

http://www.cancerindex.org/clinks5c.htm

Here is another one:

http://www.mdanderson.org/departments/canadianinfo/

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
herson Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Gary,

I am not sure what a doctor's creditals are supposed to be, but the ENT we went to go see, is

JCI MD
Otolaryngology
Head and Neck Oncology
PMH

2001:
Chief, Surgical Oncology, University Health Network
Toronto, Ontario

2001 - present:
Active, Mount Sinai Hospital
Toronto, Ontario

1998 - present:
Associate Professor, University Health Network
Toronto, Ontario

i googled him, he seems to be involved with a lot of cancer studies.. i guess thats a good thing..

thanks
H

the world brought me to my knees...
Update: Feb 10/08: Mom passed away on Jan 31,08 - infection (unknown) in her lungs with her weakened immune system resulted in cardiac arrest - T2NO SCC of tongue surgery 6/30/06, SCC left neck and lungs detected Sept 07, 7 weeks rad/3 rounds chemo had no effect.

H
I know that you new here but we don't like mention specific doctors names on the forum. It's just a policy that Brian initiated in the beginning to protect their privacy.

For what it is worth, his credentials sound good to me, but this is a team approach so the MO and RO must be considered as well. Most people here, including myself got somewhat of a consensus of opinion from the medical team, before proceeding with treatment. This should be the case whether or not she has radiation, chemo, surgery or all of them.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

H,
As a survivor who has had all treatment done here in Canada, I can tell you that I think at this time you have little to be concerned about when it comes to care quality. We do have some of the best teams around.
If and when you start or more important your mom starts feeling uncomfortable with her team, then it will be time to look for other options. Make sure you ask questions, make sure those questions are answered in a manner that is clear to all involved as the support team. If the "Red Flags" start going up it's time to seek other new advice.
David

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics