Posted By: herson Cancer Care in Ontario, Canada? - 05-27-2006 10:58 AM
Hey everyone,

My mom has cancer, .. its in stage 2, growth on the tongue, less than 2 cm's ..and hasn't spread yet ..waiting for an MRI .. we went to Toronto General to meet an ENT,...

Wanted to know where i could get my mom the best cancer support/care.. i couldn't find to much on cancer centers in ontario, ..is most cancer care/support done in hospitals??

thanks again,
H
Posted By: Gary Re: Cancer Care in Ontario, Canada? - 05-27-2006 03:37 PM
I can't advise about medical care in Ontario but I can you this, that having a coordinated team of doctors is vital for cancer treatment. The institutional setting is the best route for this.
Some here have had their treatment in Canada and I sure that they will respond as soon as they catch up. Brian may have information to help you.

I found a fair amount of information doing a Google search for "cancer centers in Canada". Here is one of them:

http://www.cancerindex.org/clinks5c.htm

Here is another one:

http://www.mdanderson.org/departments/canadianinfo/
Posted By: herson Re: Cancer Care in Ontario, Canada? - 05-27-2006 04:26 PM
Thanks Gary,

I am not sure what a doctor's creditals are supposed to be, but the ENT we went to go see, is

JCI MD
Otolaryngology
Head and Neck Oncology
PMH

2001:
Chief, Surgical Oncology, University Health Network
Toronto, Ontario

2001 - present:
Active, Mount Sinai Hospital
Toronto, Ontario

1998 - present:
Associate Professor, University Health Network
Toronto, Ontario

i googled him, he seems to be involved with a lot of cancer studies.. i guess thats a good thing..

thanks
H
Posted By: Gary Re: Cancer Care in Ontario, Canada? - 05-27-2006 05:48 PM
H
I know that you new here but we don't like mention specific doctors names on the forum. It's just a policy that Brian initiated in the beginning to protect their privacy.

For what it is worth, his credentials sound good to me, but this is a team approach so the MO and RO must be considered as well. Most people here, including myself got somewhat of a consensus of opinion from the medical team, before proceeding with treatment. This should be the case whether or not she has radiation, chemo, surgery or all of them.
Posted By: DavidD Re: Cancer Care in Ontario, Canada? - 05-28-2006 02:03 PM
H,
As a survivor who has had all treatment done here in Canada, I can tell you that I think at this time you have little to be concerned about when it comes to care quality. We do have some of the best teams around.
If and when you start or more important your mom starts feeling uncomfortable with her team, then it will be time to look for other options. Make sure you ask questions, make sure those questions are answered in a manner that is clear to all involved as the support team. If the "Red Flags" start going up it's time to seek other new advice.
David
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum