Next Thread
Print Thread
#42252 12-09-2002 06:08 AM
kcdc Offline OP
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Gang:

It's me again looking to the radiation vets for help. As you all know, Dave finished his radiation treaments a week ago today. Since then, he still is really wiped out, has a sore throat, and can eat & drink very little all of which I know is typical for this HORRENDOUS (yes, you all warned us!) period. Okay, the weird thing is he is having sporadic bouts of early morning nausea and some episodes of vomiting that at times make it difficult for him to tolerate the tube feeding.He also did switch tube feeding brands and has added protein powder which could have been the culprit. Also, he has been taking Diflucan for oral candida which can cause nausea.

In short, I am spinning my wheels trying to think of a good explanation and figure you all might have one I'm missing.

Overall, he has lost like 30 lbs since pre-op and although he isn't dehydrated yet, I don't want him spending X-mas admitted attached to an IV for fear the staff won't find him in a particularly festive mood.

Has anyone else experience nausea post radiation? Any tips? Unless the radiation techs are miracle workers, I doubt Dave is pregnant!

Thanks,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#42253 12-09-2002 08:46 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Kim,
My husband experienced sporatic nausau and vomiting following radiation. Never could quite pin it down to exactly one thing. We were told though to make sure we did the PEG feedings slowly, so we made sure. Some people can tolerate it going in fast, but most people need a slow drip, that was the case for my husband. Hang on, things do get better, although it takes awhile. There will be better days, I'll keep you both in my prayers.
Julie

Julie
Wife to Kelly
SSC tonsil Stage IV
July 2000
#42254 12-09-2002 10:50 AM
kcdc Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Julie!

As always, someone on the board has input!

Hope you and your husband have a pleasant holiday season.

Best,

Kim

kcdc
#42255 12-09-2002 11:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kim,

While you were away from the board for a while with computer problems there is a message - right below this..."Dad in need of nutritional help"...it has some input from people with pegs that might be helpful.

Take care,
Dinah

#42256 12-10-2002 03:02 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

You are correct the post radiation stage is the most difficult for the survivor and the caregiver. My husband looked so terrible at his first post rad visit with the MD that they sent h im right upstairs to get hooked up to an IV for his dehydration. About a week after that he started feeling better and continues to do so, except a bout of GI flu. Hang in there it will get better. 2003 will be brighter for all of us. LM

#42257 12-10-2002 04:27 PM
kcdc Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Dinah & LM:

Thanks for the tip about the previous posts regarding the "pleasant" subject of nausea-I had missed those and they were very helpful tips.

Dave is now sitting upright, sipping 7-up, running his tube feeding slowly, and he made it up to 4 cans today which is a minor miracle compared ot the last couple of days. He also tried a few bites of chicken noodle soup (thanks,Danny) and pudding today.

As Brian, DigTexas, and many others have said, the immediate post-radiation period is hell bar none. It is also very hard because, unlike the post-op neck dissection period, you don't see progress daily which I now realize was central to keeping my spirits up during the process.

As always, I am grateful that you all are keeping me afloat otherwise I could be consumed by my feelings of vulnerability. I pass on everything to Dave who is right now too fatigued to post let alone be present to me which is excrutiating. Rest assured your words are making the difference for me on a daily basis.

Kim

kcdc
#42258 12-11-2002 01:16 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah Kim,

You guys are making progress - I can tell from your posts. Give Dave my best - scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes can't be far away.

Take care,
Dinah

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users