Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41581 08-08-2007 09:31 AM
MikeT Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Everone:

I had 1/3 of my left tongue resected 6/13/07. I am on visit number 16 of 30 radiation treatments along with tri-weekly Cisplatin drips.

Last week, I noticed that my spit had gotten quite ropey and thick, almost like a phlem. I was asleep all of this a.m. and afternoon b/c of chemo fatgue. When I woke up my mouth was very, very dry and I went to the bathroom and noticed a red sore/rash type thing on the underside of my right tongue. It almost looks kind of veiny in that it's not shaped like a simple circle orsomething. It exists from the bottom of the tongue (where it meets the floor of the mouth) to the side of the tongue.

I probed around and didn't feel any bumps, and this thing looks like a red irritation of the skin of the tongue.

I have read about mouth sores and thrush, and how they can kick in around week 4 of radiation. Is this what I am dealing with? I have emergency appoint with my surgeon tomorrow at 1:00 for clarifcation.

Any thoughts/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks again for your support,

Mike T
Cincinnati

Stage III Cancer of Left Tongue Diagnosed 5/22/07; resection/reconstructive surgery 6/13/07 with removal of left, cervical lymph nodes (1 positive; Chemo/Radiation to commence shortly.
#41582 08-08-2007 04:31 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#41583 08-25-2007 02:00 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Mike,
Thrush is a fungal infection caused by, candida albicans, a fungus that is present in most individuals that only causes a problem when it has an opportunity to take over and area. Thrush usually appears as a whitish coating that can be wiped off with a gauze. It will come back quickly if not treated. It can cause pian and othe problems but is fairly easy to eliminate once it is recognized.
Mouth sores or, apthous ulcers, have a variety of causes; weakened immune system, trauma, damaged tissue, and dry mouth are a few of the most common causes. They can be difficult to treat but usually are manageable. They appear as a whitish to white yellow circular area with a very red border. They can be solitary or in groups ranging from small dots to as large as 2 cm in diameter.

You did not mention if the lesion under your tongue was sore.

E-mail me if you want any more info.

Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
#41584 08-25-2007 02:58 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Given where you are in your radiation treatments I think you are getting the very expected (and due to get worse) mucocitis from the radiation treatments. You are at about the right time and level of exposure for this to start happening. There is not much that can be done for it except to eliviate the discomfort for short epriods of time. Different institutions treat this with differnt kinds of mouth rinses, but the commonality in all of them is that they contain some lidocaine or other anesthetic to take the pain of them away. If your doctor confirms this, they will appear in more and more areas, and in my case were so bad that I could no longer eat by mouth. PEG tube time. Please post back your doctors conclusion. If I am correct, there are tons of people here that will have coping mechanisms for you to try.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#41585 08-25-2007 04:15 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Mike,
When my mouth started doing the exact same thing yours is doing, at the same point in treatment..........I called my husband SO SURE that my cancer was back. I called my radiation nurse, begging her for an appointment. She told me it was the beginnings of mucositis and that it would only get worse. I so recall that conversation, I didn't have a cell phone at the time, was driving to the store, and stopped at a payphone when I noticed the stuff in my mouth.
Take a deep breath because it sounds like you are in the "normal" range for radiation treatment.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#41586 08-26-2007 09:10 AM

Mike T: Post when you can and let us know how you're progressing. You are definitely in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912