Next Thread
Print Thread
#33097 01-19-2004 09:30 AM
patty G Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello All,

I haven't been on the site for quite awhile,my computer system crashed and I had to purchase a different one.All has not been well with Joe,I think the last time I wrote was when they found the tumor in his jaw.Well a subsequent PET scan showed mets to his liver,kidney lungs and spine.All of the radiation and chemo have been called off.They have deemed his completely terminal now.The amazing thing is that he feels fine.He is very tired but is doing well.They have given him about 6 months.They said the cancer is just to far gone.The PET scan he had done right before his surgery didn't show all of this.There were some questionable areas but not to this extreme.They said this scan just lit up like a christmas tree.So we're just taking one day at a time.He isn't in any pain right now and he's eating well.They promised that they'll keep him comfortable.He seems to handling it all very well,and he's spending time with his family.

I wanted to pass along this story to all of you:

When we were told about his prognosis I went crazy trying to figure out what to do next.I had no access to the internet and I had already talked to his doctors.In a previous post, Brian quoted an emedicine article written by Dr.Bobby Collins about oral malignant melanoma.I deceided I was going to try to contact him at the University of Pittsburgh.Well I got through to him and he was gracious enough to answer all my questions and he stayed on the phone for 45 minutes.I faxed him alot of his test results and he said he would consult with a few of his collegues and get back to me.He returned my call 2 days later and assured me that his doctors are doing what they can.The reason I'm writing this is to show that there are some doctors out there that really do care.I contacted this doctor from an internet article and he took his time and effort to help me even though Joe was not his patient nor was he receiving a fee.He has restored my faith in the medical field.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.
Patty

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004
#33098 01-19-2004 10:50 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Patty,

I am so sorry to hear about Joe. It was good of you to post and update us and it is good to hear (the tone) of your email that he seems to be handling this very well.

You also seem to have your head in a good place with everything happening. Please know that there are a whole bunch of people that will be here if you need us. I'm sure we all only wish we could do more.

Or thoughts and prayers are with you.
Dinah

#33099 01-19-2004 12:16 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Patty,

I'm sorry to hear about Joe's status.
I can't express in words how I feel for you and your family. I will be praying for both of you.

Best wishes, Daniel

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#33100 01-20-2004 09:54 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Patty

I'm sorry about your news. You and Joe both seem to have a positive attitude.Try to keep it and enjoy every good moments you may have. Take Care
Diane

#33101 01-20-2004 02:58 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Patti,
My prayers go out to you and Joe and your family at this difficulet time.
Thank you for sharing with us and know that we are all in your corner.
God bless you
Judy U

Judy U
Stage I SCC floor of mouth, left radical neck dissection 8/03
#33102 01-21-2004 05:01 AM
patty G Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all for your good wishes.I've come to the conclusion, that we're both handling it so well, because even though the cancer is all over his body he really isn't feeling ill.He is tired but is still quite functional.I'm pretty sure once this gets to the point that he is gravely ill I won't be so brave anymore. frown

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004
#33103 01-21-2004 05:46 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Patty,
I too am so sorry to hear about Joe. Please take care of yourselves and know that we are all here for you. I was so pleased to hear about Dr. Collins being of assistance. You're absolutey right about the comforting feeling one gets from knowing there are doctors out there who will help even when they're not involved with a patient's care. Warm regards,
Didier

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#33104 01-25-2004 06:11 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Patty,

I think you under-estimate yourself. I can tell from your posts how much you and your family love
Joe. Believe me when I say you will find that you are stronger than you think. As Joe's condition worsens, your love will give you the strength to be brave. You will do things you never imagined yourself capable of.

I have absolutely no medical background, yet I cared for Heather at home for almost 4 months. I did everything from cleaning fistulas to giving Heather daily injections in her abdomen. And believe me, that was scary! Jabbing a needle in someone's stomach is not my idea of fun, but I did what I had to do. And you will, too.

Whether Joe is cared for at home or in a hospital or hospice setting, you will find the strength to do what is necessary. I can tell from your posts that you are a strong, sensitive and intelligent person and I know that you will do just fine.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#33105 01-27-2004 07:07 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Patty,

I've read your post over and over tonight. I've been where you are, and I want you to know that you aren't alone. I know people will say that they know how you feel, but I honestly do.

My mother went into the hospital for a suspected kidney/bladder infection. She was diagnosed with liver and pancreas cancer instead. She was gone in twelve days.

Please take the time that you have and use it expressing anything to Dan that you haven't already.....whether positive or negative. Throw your feet up on the foot of his bed and talk to him like you always did before this horrible time. I'm so thankful that I was able to share Mom's last days in a normal way. She knew........we knew.......we all knew what was going to happen in the long-run, but we were able to laugh and enjoy each other to the end.

You have so much courage and strength. It seeps out of your postings. Stay strong for both of you, but please turn back to your friends here, when you need us.

Love you,
Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23