Hello All,

I haven't been on the site for quite awhile,my computer system crashed and I had to purchase a different one.All has not been well with Joe,I think the last time I wrote was when they found the tumor in his jaw.Well a subsequent PET scan showed mets to his liver,kidney lungs and spine.All of the radiation and chemo have been called off.They have deemed his completely terminal now.The amazing thing is that he feels fine.He is very tired but is doing well.They have given him about 6 months.They said the cancer is just to far gone.The PET scan he had done right before his surgery didn't show all of this.There were some questionable areas but not to this extreme.They said this scan just lit up like a christmas tree.So we're just taking one day at a time.He isn't in any pain right now and he's eating well.They promised that they'll keep him comfortable.He seems to handling it all very well,and he's spending time with his family.

I wanted to pass along this story to all of you:

When we were told about his prognosis I went crazy trying to figure out what to do next.I had no access to the internet and I had already talked to his doctors.In a previous post, Brian quoted an emedicine article written by Dr.Bobby Collins about oral malignant melanoma.I deceided I was going to try to contact him at the University of Pittsburgh.Well I got through to him and he was gracious enough to answer all my questions and he stayed on the phone for 45 minutes.I faxed him alot of his test results and he said he would consult with a few of his collegues and get back to me.He returned my call 2 days later and assured me that his doctors are doing what they can.The reason I'm writing this is to show that there are some doctors out there that really do care.I contacted this doctor from an internet article and he took his time and effort to help me even though Joe was not his patient nor was he receiving a fee.He has restored my faith in the medical field.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.
Patty

Caretaker of Joe,10/03 malignant melanoma of the tongue.
50% tongue removed,left radical neck dissection.11/03.Recurrence
to jaw and neck and multiple mets to major organs 1/2004