Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#18280 07-20-2005 09:34 AM
mbart Offline OP
OP Offline

Mark,
He has B Cross/ B Sheild PPO through his union, a local IBEW plan where he lives in Fla. He is seeing Dr.s in NY as that is where we grew up and have a summer home. He is a full time Fla resident now.
Are there others things I need to know about residency and out of state visit for treatment. I believe there is a gatekeeper system with this plan and the Dr already referred him to the JP Wilmont center at the U of Rochester. Anyone with BC/BS please?? Once he is out of state for treatment, he will not be going back to Fla to work, but IBEW is national so he could report to the local hall. I also understand that you need x amount of hours per quarter working to keep insurance. Anyone/ Does this simply stop when the minimums are not met. I do not have a copy of the collective bargaining agreement.
He is busy working in order to keep up his hours to enable his insurance to be current. Don't know the program but it require authorization for all in hospital services and items over $500.
How are things like imaging handled? I realize most are done by outside profit centers not connected to the hospital itself, but as a susidiary of, and are billed separately.
Another question I keep coming back to is how long is too long in finding a team?? Dx was 6-09 and I think I can get him in to Roswell early August. Are there consequences for a couple week delay? and is the possible higher expertize worth the wait? What are the trade offs in timing??
Mark

#18281 07-21-2005 04:13 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Mark,

I had BC/BS in Raleigh. I als had SC at the base of the tongue and two lymph nodes. BC/BS was terrific with me. They assigned me a case manager who checked with me weekly to make sure treatmetn was going well and make sure I had everything I needed. Not sure about NY but in NC, they were great. I was diagnosed in Sept, started Chemo and radiation in Oct, and had modified rad neck surgery Jan 31. Am now in remission and doing well. Going to gym, playing golf, etc. It will be a tough road for your brother, but if they hit this thing hard, they can get rid of it. He will be weak, tired and need support from family and friends.

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
#18282 07-24-2005 03:59 PM
mbart Offline OP
OP Offline

Paul,
How are things going at U of R and your treatment. I have the names of the Drs. he will see tomorrow. Got him in to get a second opinion at Roswell.
Any interest in going there yourself? I can pass along what I know about them, as well as phone #s for appts.
Mark

#18283 07-24-2005 04:04 PM
mbart Offline OP
OP Offline

Gail,
I'd be very interested in hearing the specific opinions from those centers,and the whys if possible. My brother should get his within the next two weeks and have to decide on which path to take.
Was the Dx the same? stage 3 with metastatic areas at the neck and tongue? smoker and alcohol?
We are coming to the choice point here soon and I'd like to help with whatever info I can get him.
Thanks,
Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916