Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#163879 04-10-2013 07:35 AM
mrbmx Offline OP
OP Offline

For the last couple months I had been going to doctors 4 different ones. They just kept telling me it was nothing serious and giving me anti-biotics. Last Tuesday I suddenly started coughing, and when blood started coming up I went to the ER. They did a CT and found a mass on the base of my tongue. ENT came to see me checked me out with endoscope said he was 99% sure it was cancer. I got the biopsy results yesterday and they were positive for cancer. I work as a carpenter/sub-contractor, just started a new job, they have told me I will not be able to do that type of work in treatment. My insurance is inadequate for chronic illness such as this. So I don't know how I will pay for treatment or living expenses. I don't qualify for any type of assistance. My friends and family say they will help, but I just don't know how it is all gonna work out. I am 42 never had any serious illness and very active, so I am sure I can survive this if I can just get to treatment. Friday I get my diagnosis officially, but they hold told me stage 4. I have been reading in these forums for the last week and it has helped me get a better understanding of what this disease is, and what is in front of me.

Thanks for letting me share.

Tony

Tony

42 yr old male
No smoke, no drink
Stage 4 T3N3M0 BOT
TX 5/20/13 35 rads, 3 cisplatin
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Tony, welcome to OCF! Im sorry to hear about your situation.

I suggest heading for one of the countrys top cancer centers. Ask them if they have any programs for the uninsured. Many places have programs for help but if you dont ask about them they are not offered. To me, it sounds like you will have to advocate for yourself and find a place that will help you. Dont just go by location either, many top centers have free rooms for cancer patients nearby.

Some people have been able to do some types of work while going thru treatments. It is very individual and depends on the job as well as how they can handle their treatments.

Best wishes!

Cancer Centers

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Tony,

I agree 100% with Christine. I know from experience find a good Cancer Center, I won't go into detail it wasn't pretty. She provided you with a list.

Best Wishes,
Connie

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

mrbmx Offline OP
OP Offline

Have check into a good cancer center here at University of Iowa. They have a Head & neck clinic. They are the one that told me my insurance won't cover anything.

Tony

Tony

42 yr old male
No smoke, no drink
Stage 4 T3N3M0 BOT
TX 5/20/13 35 rads, 3 cisplatin

Hi Tony,
I have no useful advise for you, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We're waiting for Friday too, which is when we will learn the treatment recommendations for my mom's BOT metastatic squamous whatchamacallit. Everything in her life, my life, and my sister's life is on hold until 9am Friday. I've never felt so tired and ungrounded, and I'm just the caregiver!

Good luck to you.

Little Bird, CG to mother, diagnosed March 15, 2013, age 70, non-smoker, non-drinker
BOT, HPV+
Cisplatin and 35 days of radiation, completed June 13, 2013.
Looks like they got it all. (knock on wood)
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Tony,

Glad you found OCF, sorry your here. I am still hoping it is not SCC, but it sound like BOT. Given your age and and being a nonsmoker you have good chance this is HPV related. The good news is that this is treatable and cureable. The bad news the treatment is harsh. I am still recoving from the same thing.

I'm an Engineer, which means I bang on keyboards most of the day. I still missed 4 months of work. I did what I could from home but it was minimual.

If it is SSC, you now have a New Job, Get Health Again, and its full time. You have a lot to do. Many people will chime here. First make a list of cancer centers. And start calling them, explain you situation. Keep asking what can I do get started. It's your job to get yourself into a cancer center.

Next, get to your denstist. Get your teeth checked out and dental trays made ASAP. Stay off Doctor Google, and post question here. The people here are great.

Hockey Dad
43, No smoke, Small BOT HPV+16
8/30/12 Biopsy found SCC in Lymph node (removed)
9/19 DX 4a T1N2aM0
10/1 TX 2x Cisplatin 35 IMRT 70 gry (Done 11/15)
PEG tube in 11/7. Out 1/4, Back at work 2/4/13
PET 2/13 Clear, 10/16 all Scopes Clear, 4/14 Chest X-ray Clear, 5/14 Abdominal ultrasound Clear, 8 yrs clean!!!
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Tony I wish I could help with the insurance situation... I'm canadian though so that's a different ball of wax entirely. However there is a section here of the forum that has insurance info that might be of some help. This is your life at stake. What you have is curable, or more curable than non HPV related cancers, you're young, healthy and I'm assuming based on the kind of work you do, in decent shape. The lack of insurance SHOULD NOT COST YOU YOUR LIFE - Call around, see what is available to you, look online, check our insurance section. Even if you have to go into debt to do it, it's worth it to get the best medical care.

take care. and welcome, sorry you have to be here, but this is a great place for info and support.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Your top priority is to get treatment and kill the cancer, nothing else matters if you want to live long term. With respect to getting treatments covered, I can tell you to get payment agreements lined up before you receive services. The time to negotiate is now before getting treatment; once you are serviced, the full RETAIL bill will be in your mailbox awaiting you to go then try to negotiate the rendered services. As has been mentioned, one facility may have options while another may not; obviously, you want to know this ahead of time and get treatment where you can work something else.

Unfortunately, I do not agree with others who say go seek care at a nationally recognized NCCN Cancer Center first. This would be idea but you need to find a place that can treat you and work with your finances. Cancer is hard but having cancer and being bankrupt is no fun either. Surviving and preserving your assets is the optimal outcome for you.

The logical steps are to contact your local county public services department and see what you may qualify for. There may be gap options that are offered which fill the hole of those who do not qualify for Medi-caid and fall short of being to afford or be offered access to a reasonable affordable policy. They do exist. The state is the next level but primarily delegates an subsidized health care to local agencies.

Thirdly, do contact the major care providers in your area to see what they can offer in terms of discounting as that is what it would be viewed as. I would not call it subsidized unless the facility has arrangements with state/local agencies to help fill the gap.

Again, you need to seek out these options now before more treatments or at least those not covered by your current policy.

Good luck

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Tony, I 100% agree with those advising you to do everything possible to get to a top cancer center, finances come second. I understand it's no fun being bankrupt...but it's less fun to lose a cancer battle at 42. Your chances of surviving this, and in better condition, are better at a top cancer hospital. Getting the best care possible needs to be your top and only priority. I'm so sorry you're in this position...Ana

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Tony, I'm afraid being Canadian, I am not able to offer you any advice with regards to financial support; but I do want to send you my best wishes for a positive outcome both in terms of treatment and in finding some kind of funding help.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics