Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#159529 12-29-2012 04:56 PM
Farina6 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello!

I have been to this site before, just reading the forums and information, and decided to post. I'm not sure what I need/want; I think I just need to vent. :-)

In Aug 2008, I was diagnosed with SCC of right side of tongue and had surgery 10 days later. PET had showed possible node involvement, but pathology came back clear on all 32 nodes removed, so no additional treatment was necessary. Since then I've had a great recovery, very very minor speech issue (that really only I hear/feel). I was seeing my ENT every 3 months, then every 6 months.

At my regular visit in October, my ENT wanted to do a CT since no scans had been done in over a year. The CT showed a possible abnormality on the left floor of mouth (involving or near salivary gland), so a PET was ordered. It, again, showed a possible abnormality in the same location, but was not conclusive. So, an MRI was ordered. Due to another health issue, I had to wait about 6 weeks to have the MRI.

I just had the MRI 2 days ago so no results yet. I can't help but think it really IS something. It seems to me that if a PET can't rule it out, it is more likely it is an abnormality/cancer. My ENT has always been confident that recurrence is very unlikely, but the more I read, the less confident I get.

I'm not a worrier. But, once you've had cancer, as you all know, the thought is there. I don't like the waiting. And, honestly, I fear the results will be "inconclusive" leading to "wait and see" type of situation with a recheck in 3/6 months. I am the type that wants to know good or bad, make a plan and get it taken care of. I asked if any biopsy could be performed in the office, but the Dr said there is not. It would be a procedure done in hospital/surgery center, not in office.

I keep feeling the area, but I'm not sure what 'normal' should feel like and I can't compare to the other side due to scar tissue from previous cancer.

How common is recurrence/additional primary oral cancers?

Has anyone had cancer in floor of mouth?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

DX 8/21/08--SCC right side of tongue; Age 36,non-smoker,casual drinker
SX 9/01/08 to remove cancer & right modified neck dissection--margins good, lymph nodes clear(T2N0M0); no further treatment.
Farina6 #159533 12-29-2012 07:02 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Farina - I wonder if it depends on the doctor or the hospital he/she is associated with? When my son was diagnosed 6 years ago, his dentist sent him to an Oral Surgeon and he performed the biopsy right in his office. After that he was sent to an ENT for the rest of his treatment. Maybe you could check hospitals in your area and find an ENT or Oral Surgeon for another opinion.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Farina6 #159536 12-29-2012 07:29 PM
Farina6 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply Anne-Marie!

I had the biopsy of the tumor on my tongue done in the office so I know my ENT can do biopsies in the office, but for some reason didn't feel this could be done without surgery. Perhaps its in a quite vascular area, or is too deep. I'm not even sure exactly where the questionable area is. I'm pretty sure, but not positive. :-)

Since I've had the MRI, I will wait for results, then see what can/should be done.

:-)

SX 9/01/08 to remove cancer & right modified neck dissection--margins good, lymph nodes clear(T2N0M0); no further treatment.
Farina6 #159537 12-29-2012 07:42 PM

None of the scans are 100 percent accurate, and none can prove cancer 100 percent. Only a direct biopsy can, followed by a FNAB, which is pretty close. If a lesion was small, visible then maybe a punch, brush or scalpel biopsy in the office can be performed, but it can effect future scans if any are redone, and if it is cancerous, although maybe not likely as the dr said, they don't want to start poking all around in your mouth looking for something that can't b seen, and possibility of spreading cancer too, and the things you mentioned are considered. There are many reasons for abnormal scans, not always cancerous, but they may want to do a direct biopsy in the hospital, if anything suspicious is seen, while doing a scope of the mouth, and throat under general anesthesia. As far as a recurrence goes, majority of recurrences occur the first two years, and you are over four years out. Try not to worry, which is easier said than done. I know how it is since I had 8 PET/CT scans, 3 CT, 2 MRI, and 5 FNAB in three years, and waiting is the worst. Try to keep busy! Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Farina6 #159538 12-29-2012 10:23 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! So sorry you are going thru a scare right now. Waiting is horrible and since you havent been biopsied yet there probably will be more waiting in your future.

Here are some statistics about recurrences. First, they are not as common as many patients believe. Alot of members who post frequently may have had recurrences thats due to the one timers going back to their regular lives. The info is 10 years old. I am unsure of how often this gets updated or if any more recent studies have been conducted. Read the post by OCF's founder Brian Hill.

Recurrence Stats (Old OCF Forum)

Try to keep yourself busy so the time passes without too much stressful thinking "what if". I know its not easy to avoid thinking that way. If you find yourself going there, try to check the clock and say to yourself "ok...I will ponder this for only 5 minutes" then change the channel.

Best wishes!

Last edited by ChristineB; 12-29-2012 10:24 PM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
PaulB #159546 12-29-2012 11:32 PM
Farina6 Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=PaulB]None of the scans are 100 percent accurate, and none can prove cancer 100 percent. Only a direct biopsy can, followed by a FNAB, which is pretty close. If a lesion was small, visible then maybe a punch, brush or scalpel biopsy in the office can be performed, but it can effect future scans if any are redone, and if it is cancerous, although maybe not likely as the dr said, they don't want to start poking all around in your mouth looking for something that can't b seen, and possibility of spreading cancer too, and the things you mentioned are considered. There are many reasons for abnormal scans, not always cancerous, but they may want to do a direct biopsy in the hospital, if anything suspicious is seen, while doing a scope of the mouth, and throat under general anesthesia. As far as a recurrence goes, majority of recurrences occur the first two years, and you are over four years out. Try not to worry, which is easier said than done. I know how it is since I had 8 PET/CT scans, 3 CT, 2 MRI, and 5 FNAB in three years, and waiting is the worst. Try to keep busy! Good luck. [/quote]

Thank you, PaulB. I do understand that none of the scans are 100%. My thinking is if CT and then PET both showed suspicious area, then I've gone farther from 'ruling out' and closer to 'ruling in' for lack of a better way to put it. Yes, the Dr did mention that biopsy (and probably better look at mouth/throat) would involve a scope, explaining why it can't be done in office. The suspect area is not visible and was apparently not palpable in Oct when I saw him for routine follow up.

I'm really not stressing about it. I just tend to research to gain knowledge. Yes, sometimes too much research for my own good. ;-)

I just take it as it comes, and deal with it when I KNOW what it is, or isn't.

Thanks again for your reply!

ChristineB #159547 12-29-2012 11:47 PM
Farina6 Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=ChristineB]Welcome to OCF! So sorry you are going thru a scare right now. Waiting is horrible and since you havent been biopsied yet there probably will be more waiting in your future.

Here are some statistics about recurrences. First, they are not as common as many patients believe. Alot of members who post frequently may have had recurrences thats due to the one timers going back to their regular lives. The info is 10 years old. I am unsure of how often this gets updated or if any more recent studies have been conducted. Read the post by OCF's founder Brian Hill.

Recurrence Stats (Old OCF Forum)

Try to keep yourself busy so the time passes without too much stressful thinking "what if". I know its not easy to avoid thinking that way. If you find yourself going there, try to check the clock and say to yourself "ok...I will ponder this for only 5 minutes" then change the channel.

Best wishes! [/quote]

Thank you for the link, Christine! In reading through the posts, I recalled a few things my ENT had said at a previous visit. He said that even though he doesn't know of any correlation between oral cancer and other future cancers he's seen women that had oral cancer with supposedly unrelated cancers later in their lives. It kind of threw me a little, as he's a very positive, but thorough and honest Doctor, and he hadn't mentioned it previously. (This was less than a year ago that he said it.)

At the time of my tongue cancer, he did not have it/me tested for HPV. His reason was that I already had cancer, so why get tested? I understand and accepted that reason. Having gone through genetic testing for BRCA mutation and dealt with the results since then, I now wonder if that is something that should be done. If nothing else, just for more information. Is it becoming more standard to test for HPV with oral cancers? Is it like BRCA mutations where if you have HPV your risk of oral cancers (along with cervical & any others liked to HPV) is higher? If that has been proven, what is the increased risk?

If you haven't figured it out by now, I've always had an interest in data, statistics, research, and logic. That's why I'm asking the questions.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sure you've answered them a lot of times already!

Farina6 #159554 12-30-2012 06:34 AM

I've read the stats out there for recurrences in Oral and Oropharyngeal Cancer, and others, as well as risk for secondary cancers due to treatments, especially IMRT radiation, which go up every year, and the the 2 and 5 year overall survival rates, but some stats are outdated, and usually don't include HPV status, which is a prognosis factor, age, health status, tumor grade, type of treatments, doctors experience, smoking, drinking, distant metastes, and any underlying health issues, which all factor in. The two biggest prognostic factors for Oral, Oropharyngeal cancer are nodal involvement, and tumor thickness, since most of these failures occur locoregionally, and not from distant Metastases, so controlling the nodes are important, and most recurrences occur the first two years. Some patients don't mind knowing the stats like myself, but some do not, and does them no good, and probably why doctors don't discuss it much, plus they have no crystal ball as to what will happen, and everyone is different how they respond, recover, and why some have recurrences while others don't. I've had cancer 5x in three years, which is more unusual than most, but was lucky that they were found soon enough to be treated, so far.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Farina6 #159556 12-30-2012 07:50 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Farina,

We all hate the wait but let's see what the MRI reveals.

Did they tell what uptake value the PET disclosed?

What a tongue Primary location HPV testing is not normally done.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #159560 12-30-2012 08:00 AM

Farina

I've lost track of how many Petscans, MRIs and CTs I've had over the last five years (good project to check on those numbers from my files), but I remember worrying about each and every one of them. As for the statistics, just remember that for individual patients, it's always 100% or zero. The other figures are just approximations as spelled out in Brian's old post. (PS: you can tell it's an old archived post due to its now outdated comment that you can't do another round of radiation after getting the full dose. Paul, Kelly, myself and others are proof that is no longer the case due to advances in radiation delivery such as CyberKnife.)
Wishing you good results on the MRI
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Page 1 of 2 1 2