Hello!

I have been to this site before, just reading the forums and information, and decided to post. I'm not sure what I need/want; I think I just need to vent. :-)

In Aug 2008, I was diagnosed with SCC of right side of tongue and had surgery 10 days later. PET had showed possible node involvement, but pathology came back clear on all 32 nodes removed, so no additional treatment was necessary. Since then I've had a great recovery, very very minor speech issue (that really only I hear/feel). I was seeing my ENT every 3 months, then every 6 months.

At my regular visit in October, my ENT wanted to do a CT since no scans had been done in over a year. The CT showed a possible abnormality on the left floor of mouth (involving or near salivary gland), so a PET was ordered. It, again, showed a possible abnormality in the same location, but was not conclusive. So, an MRI was ordered. Due to another health issue, I had to wait about 6 weeks to have the MRI.

I just had the MRI 2 days ago so no results yet. I can't help but think it really IS something. It seems to me that if a PET can't rule it out, it is more likely it is an abnormality/cancer. My ENT has always been confident that recurrence is very unlikely, but the more I read, the less confident I get.

I'm not a worrier. But, once you've had cancer, as you all know, the thought is there. I don't like the waiting. And, honestly, I fear the results will be "inconclusive" leading to "wait and see" type of situation with a recheck in 3/6 months. I am the type that wants to know good or bad, make a plan and get it taken care of. I asked if any biopsy could be performed in the office, but the Dr said there is not. It would be a procedure done in hospital/surgery center, not in office.

I keep feeling the area, but I'm not sure what 'normal' should feel like and I can't compare to the other side due to scar tissue from previous cancer.

How common is recurrence/additional primary oral cancers?

Has anyone had cancer in floor of mouth?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

DX 8/21/08--SCC right side of tongue; Age 36,non-smoker,casual drinker
SX 9/01/08 to remove cancer & right modified neck dissection--margins good, lymph nodes clear(T2N0M0); no further treatment.