Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155460 10-02-2012 01:12 AM
5020 Offline OP
OP Offline

Our 86 y.o. Mom was diagnosed with Stage II jaw cancer in April 12- Had partial maxillectomy and lymphectomy 4/12.
Turned out to be T4NO tumor. No previous health hx. Obturator fitted and recovery initially slow but progressed after a time. 6 weeks of radiation completed by mid July 12. Tough time with radiation side effects but eventually over the hump and starting to gain weight/ re-engage in social activities by end of Aug 12. F/U visit with oral surgeon revealed ? growth in surgical opening of jaw- biopsy positive for ?persistant/recurrant oral cancer.
What a blow. Felt like the carpet was pulled out from under us. She was starting to do so well! MD recommendation - total maxillectomy with Weber- Ferguson incision.
Got second opinion with essentially same end in mind- slightly more conservative approach.
Feeling like only two options available- not liking either but needed to decide...to have surgery or not. Both MDs predicting death in a year or less if no surgery with horribly painful, symptomatic death. Hard to imagine these horrible symptoms with mom feeling so great...

She has decided to proceed and have surgery this Thursday. We are all very nervous about it...bigger surgery, facial incision, larger obturator, home with feeding tube.

Gosh, we all hope this is the right decision...We are rallying around her and hope we can support her to get thru this second surgery in less than 6 months. She just really didn't feel like she had much of a choice.

Is it true this type of cancer moves really fast and are the symptoms as bad as the doctors say if you don't have the surgery?

Darn, wish they had been able to get it all the first time around...hoping we can lick it this time...

Any advice? comments? thanks.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! So sorry to hear about your mother and her recurrence. There are a few of us here who have had similar surgeries. I know its not easy but it can be done.

The very best advice I can give you is to get her to a large cancer center. There they have a team based approach and they are most familiar with treating oral cancer. This is especially important in hard cases like this where it comes back so quickly.

The doctors are being honest with telling you all the things your mother will suffer thru if nothing is done. I know these surgeries arent easy at all. I had half of my lower jaw removed and had some complications. My recovery took a full year but I am still here over 3 years later living a good life even though I deal with some daily struggles. I almost didnt have the surgery but it finally sunk in that I couldnt quit before I even tried. Im living proof of what can be overcome when put to the test.

Wishing your mother all the very best with this and I wish you the peace to know you have made the right choices. Once you make them try not to second guess yourself. It doesnt change anything but will make you upset and worry.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
5020 Offline OP
OP Offline

Christine,
Thanks so much for your caring words and advice. I hope I can report back in a few years to say how well my Mom is doing!

You are right about focusing on moving ahead once the decision is made...

I am sure I will have lots of questions once we get thru the surgery on Thursday and I am already reassured to know I have a place to go with people like you to ask!
nancyn

Thanks again.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Unfortunately I have wittnessed many cruel and horrible deaths at the hand of this cancer. Your docs are correct in both their timeline and the description of the terminal phase. I could be graphic but just take my word it's about the worst end phase I can imagine. There are meds that can make the patient's journey softer and Hospice is the place to go when that decision is made. Let's hope this works.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Nancy, my heart goes out to your mother and to you and the rest of your family. Please keep us apprised. Your mother is incredibly brave and you can be sure that every member of this forum is pulling for her.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Nancy,
My mom is 87 and I can't even imagine her having the courage to undertake this. Kudos to your mom for going for it. Courage and strength!! Please keep in touch.
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
5020 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for your tremendous words of support! This website and forum are amazing. It's unbelievable what so many of you have been through. I am in total awe. I just wish I would have found it sooner!
I am sure my Mom and family will learn so much and I hope we can support others as well.

We are meeting with the anesthesiologist tomorrow afternoon and surgery on Thursday first thing. Will let you know how it all goes. I am confident in our cancer center...Loyola Univ in suburb of Chgo...

Thanks again and take care all. NancyN

Senior Member (100+ posts)

Your mom sounds likes a real fighter. Glad she has opted to have the surgery. It sounds like she has fought hard the first round and she can do it again. She must be planning on making it to 100.

Husband diagnosed Oct '11 Cancer of the vocal cord Nov '11 removed right vocal cord. Neck Dissection, cancer in one node, .2, very small & contained) Jan '12 Radiation and Cisplatin, 6 doses. June '12 & Dec '12 clear Pet scan. April '13 Celebrating 1 year cancer free since treatment ended.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Good luck with every thing your mother sounds like a fighter, hopefully this spirit will support her during her recovery. Best of luck and blessings.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Ina Offline

Hello Nancy, I am new with this group and like you my 72 year old mother in law will be having surgery to remove part or all of her jawbone (mandible) on october 10, 2012. In 2010 she had a partial glossectomy but the cancer reoccured on her gums and jawbone. She only weighs 98 lbs and is very fragile due to her hypertension and heart problem.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics