Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#135087 06-09-2011 10:23 AM
OP Offline

Hello,

I am hoping that someone can offer advice/support for my mom. She underwent oral/neck surgery last month and has an obturator.

The obturator has been giving her issues since last week when her prosthodontist readjusted it. She experiences a tremendous gag reflex when she tries to put the obturator in.
She has left the obturator out for 2 days now and has been able to eat small amounts of food using the side of her mouth that was not affected by the surgery.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how my mom might get past this gag reflex or if there are any techniques to inserting the obturator?? Her prosthodontist offered her some type of numbing gel or spray for her mouth to decrease sensation and make it easier for her to insert the obturator, but this hasn't seemed to work. Her doctors have also told her that putting the obturator in her mouth is a "mind-over-matter" issue and she just needs to get past it.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Thank you.

Maura
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, Maura-

I wish I had some specific tricks up my sleeve for your mom...All I know is, it takes practice, practice, practice. If she can find a time to sit in front of a mirror and practice different ways of inserting it (usually they recommend putting the lumpy part, the part that goes in the surgical defect, in first, then clipping the clips to the teeth on the other side)... It shouldn't be a matter of shoving it in -- she should be able to be gentle and deliberate and to take her time. Does she have anxiety about the whole thing (which would be understandable)? That may contribute to her getting a gag reflex. I don't know how you feel about meds, but if anxiety is an issue, some anti-anxiety meds might help her relax more while she practices putting it in.

Not a fun thing, the obturator. I have just returned this minute from getting my definitive one, and am feeling a bit shake (I always do after these appointments!). But it seems to be fitting okay. I haven't yet taken it out or put it in myself, so we'll have to see how that goes tonight.

I do hope your mom finds a way to insert her obturator without discomfort -- she needs it to eat and talk, and those are basic necessities for us all! I wish her the best, and will have her in my thoughts. She's in good company -- there are now a few of us on here who can identify with her difficulties.

Best of luck. Hang in there.

Chrissy

Stage 2 SCC upper right palate
Hemi-palatectomy and maxillectomy 5/28/09
Six teeth gone
IMRT x30 starts July 13. Completed 8/26/09
Carboplatin and Taxol x6 starting 7/14/09. Completed 8/25/09.
OP Offline

Chris,

Thank you for responding. It helps just to hear from someone else who can relate to my mom.

I figured there probably isn't anything I or anyone can do but encourage/support my mom through this. Her docs have emphasized that it will just take time & practice. I do think she has anxiety over it and maybe it would help if she could take medication to relieve that feeling. I just hope that she has a good experience tomorrow when she sees her prosthodontist.

In the meantime, I hope you have success with your definitive obturator. Thanks again for your input.

Maura
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

The gag reflex is a mind ivermectin matter thing I think I too have a touchy gag reflex - makes wearing those flouride trays a bugger - I'm not an orberatur user - but I tell you I gag the minute I slide the trays in - ugh!! It does get easier though - eventually- tell yo mom not to give up she'll eventually get used to it.
Hugs- and take care

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

Thanks Cheryl for your support. I needed the hug, too!

Maura
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi
I had exactly the same thing, I found I was gagging with this 2nd obturator but my dentist shaved some off do it was more bearable. I am s complete scaredy cat and have only just started looking and feeling my surgery site and it's been a few months now. Your mum will get there it takes time and patience but she will get used to it
Take care of you
Jayne x

Scc nasal cavity /hard palate
Surgery removal of septum and roof of mouth 15/3/11 cl margins
Rt and cisplatin 6 weeks starting 24/5/11
Obturator

Age 45

I had a little gag reflex the first week, while getting use to talking with the obturator. It got better fairly quickly, just had to learn to talk a little slower and take time to swallow. I feel more panic when the obturator is out, kind of scary, having a hole in my mouth, and not being able to talk. I take it out the very last thing at night and put it back in the very first thing in the morning and I keep it in a dish by my bed, for the "just in case". it makes me feel kind of helpless with it out. I hope your mom will keep trying and soon it will be more comfortable. Keep us posted. Let her know we are all pulling for her.

Sharon

Sharon, 57; Hard Palate; T1, High Grade, DX 6-12-09, Surgery, maxillectomy 7-14-09, 33 RT (9-2-09 to 10-19-09); Prothesis (obturator). None smoker, non drinker.
OP Offline

Thank you Jayne & Sharon . . .

As I said to Chris earlier, it helps just to hear from others who can relate to my mom. Your words are very encouraging. My mom is not too computer savvy but I did succeed in getting her to set up an account with OCF.

I've been passing along everyone's comments to my mom and I know that all of your support has made a difference in how she is adjusting post-surgery and with the obturator. So thank you again for sharing your experiences. It really helps!

Maura

Hey Maura & all,
this is Mauras sister Patty, I'm new to this site, after reading all of your threads, it makes me feel a good bit more hopeful that she will overcome this difficult time. Mom is about to start radiation, from what dad told me, this will kill all of her salivary glads for good. so she will have to spray her throat all the time for the rest of her life. anyone out there have any input on this? how often, etc.... what is our mom up against?
thanks Patty

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I guess they know where they are radiating so the fall out could be the gland - water is a great help she could carry it around and drink when dry - they do have a biotene spray thet helps - they also have Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste - all made to help with dryness!! She xan carry the spray in her purse and usevit as needd. She'll be okay. Good luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics