Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#13082 12-09-2007 03:55 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

I have been praticing dentistry for over 37 years and I think maybe this week I'll get it right and I won't have to practice anymore. Sorry, just some dental humor.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't say that I thought I had seen it all. What it comes down to is that there are many, many people that leave my office that say, "Wow, that was the most thorough dental examination that I have ever had, thank you for taking the time to be sure that I'm OK". That's what keeps me going when some idiot complains about having a biopsy "for nothing".

Nothing in dentistry can beat the feeling when a patient completing treatment (female of course) says "Do you think it will be alright if I give you hug"? That's what it's all about. Yes, Mike is right...there are people attached to the teeth and unfortunately too many dentists don't realize that. People aren't born disliking dentistry, it's bad experiences with uncaring dentists that make them that way. It's the good dentists that have to help those patients get over their fears.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#13083 12-09-2007 05:03 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hey Jer,
I think I am going to copy and paste the last part of your e-mail and give it to Kendra, she fits right in there with you two gentlemen!

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
#13084 12-09-2007 05:06 PM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

When i walked out of the dental hospital on Monday Jeff i made three phone calls.One to my son,one to my daughter,and the third to my dentist to tell him the good news.I know he was every bit as relieved as i was.I want to punch Robins dentist several times a day,i just want to hug mine,even though his methods were a little unorthodox and i will most definately go back to him in six months for that check up.

keep doing what you do best honey being a brilliant advoate and shining example to all your patients and friends on this site

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#13085 12-09-2007 06:13 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jerry,

She would be the first in line at the lawyers office to sue you had you not sent her for a biopsy and months/years later she found out she had cancer.

Better to err on the side of caution. Maybe one day she will appreciate it.

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.
#13086 12-09-2007 06:30 PM

Jerry/Mike,

I will tell all my women friends to hug their dentists next time they go in for a check up and OC screen. wink

I've never had a bad dentist, however, I can not tolerate that drilling sound. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. My dentist knows me well. Based on the look on my face and the death grip on his chair, there are hygentists who wonder if I'm ok and if we should take a break during a procedure.

But, my denetist knows that if we stop for a break the whole thing will take longer so he assures the hygienists that I'm fine and they need to keep moving along. He's totally right on that front.

The smells and the sounds, are very hard for me to stomach. Plus they keep their office way too cold for me year round. A problem that I often have in office buildings. I'm lucky I have pretty good teeth. Just several really old cavities that have had to be replaced recently. So, yeah! No more mercury fillings in my mouth. And, hopefully the swelling will go down tomorrow before I head off to work.

My dentist is always asking about Dan and recommending products to help him along.

This last time he suggested a liquid silver compound that can be gargled with and swallowed. I have several pages of print outs he provided to read. Plus he's always giving me samples of things for Dan to try to ease even the tiniest of discomfort.

Our current area of concern is his throat. Since most things are a swish and spit, he thinks Dan's throat could heal better if he could swish and swallow with the liquid silver. Do either of you dentist have familiarity with this?

Both our family doc and dentist have been great supporting players full of compassion and care as we have moved through the CCC process. We feel pretty blessed.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
#13087 12-10-2007 01:25 AM

I am due for a check up and my dentist is a female so I don't know if I will hug her but I will express my appreciation. My dentist encourages music (she has a large selection) and lets me use my iPod which helps tremendously. So as I'm being worked on, my foot or fingers are keeping time to the music and it's over before i've gotten thru all my favorites. I've always thought that a great idea would be to paste some cartoon humor on the ceiling. One dentist I had, had those ceiling tiles with all the little dots in them and it was really difficult to count those dots and keep tract of which ones I had counted and which ones I hadn't. I had to keep starting over! Maybe in addition to the caratoons, some "Hug your dentist stickers?"

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#13088 12-10-2007 03:25 PM
OP Offline

Anne-Marie,

"Hug your dentist stickers"? I think I might have to run that one by my wife.

So nice to read positive remarks about dentists.

Donna,
I will meet Kendra, someday. I look forward to it.

Margaret,

I have no idea what liquid silver is. Maybe Mike might. Any more details or information about it?

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#13089 12-10-2007 07:10 PM

I am an equal opportunity hugger!! If they deserve a hug, they get one (unless I know that they don't share my fondness for hugs.)

XOX

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#13090 12-11-2007 03:23 PM

There is nothing that makes me love my profession more than the simple easy "Thank You", I get from satisfied patients. Hugs are always welcome, and Jerry, I have had hugs from males. They are all welcome. (I prefer the female hugs..of course!!)
I do my best for every patient every day. Like I said before my job is easy, as far as I'm concerned it is the best job I could ever have. The people attached to the teeth I treat and mouths I see are 99% of the time interesting, wonderful and caring individuals. I love the stories, jokes and tears I share with them. I let them know that they are part of my family and I will always go out of my way for them.
I hope that I can still say this in 37 years.
Jerry, you are an inspiration to me and whether you like it or not, deserve my praise. Thank you for all you have done to further our profession, help your patients and brighten my spark.
To everyone else, talk to your dentist, be honest and express your concerns and fears. It will make a difference in the overall experience you have and the treatment you recieve.

Cookey,
I sent you a PM. I'm so happy to hear about your good news. I do believe that the dentist is compassionate and capable. I do admire the fact that he did get you in and look after you. He does have my respect whether I agree with his methods or not. I just wanted to openly let peole know this. I did sort of rip his handling and ultimately his person apart in my first post. After some thought and further pondering of the situation, I'm OK with his overall dedication to his patients and profession.
I guess, It's just not how I would have handled it.
But, who am I to criticise ...

Best wishes to all,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users