I have been praticing dentistry for over 37 years and I think maybe this week I'll get it right and I won't have to practice anymore. Sorry, just some dental humor.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't say that I thought I had seen it all. What it comes down to is that there are many, many people that leave my office that say, "Wow, that was the most thorough dental examination that I have ever had, thank you for taking the time to be sure that I'm OK". That's what keeps me going when some idiot complains about having a biopsy "for nothing".

Nothing in dentistry can beat the feeling when a patient completing treatment (female of course) says "Do you think it will be alright if I give you hug"? That's what it's all about. Yes, Mike is right...there are people attached to the teeth and unfortunately too many dentists don't realize that. People aren't born disliking dentistry, it's bad experiences with uncaring dentists that make them that way. It's the good dentists that have to help those patients get over their fears.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"