Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SuzyS Offline OP
OP Offline

Good evening
I am now week 13 post RT, and 6 weeks post neck dissection. I am becoming overwhelmed by the doubts that kick off in my head about strange syptoms and worry if they indicate renewed cancer activity, cancer spread or just "odd" responses our bodies have to the turturous treatments they get subjected to ? of great concern is the fact that my voice did not change at all during or just after RT, but after neck dissection (at 6 weeks post RT) my voice has become hoarse, weaker, deeper (sound like a heavy smoker). has anyone else experienced this, or should my docs be checking for recurrence. the second worry is that for the past 4 weeks or so i have sore ribs, to touch they feel bruised, tender and particularly noticeable when I am lay down.
I saw my ENT doctor last Friday and told her this, 3 days later I got a call to attend for a PET scan on Monday, here in UK they dont usually offer PET as staandard, and I am shocked by this rapid response and worried it might be a spread or recurrence suspected. previously I never had a hoarse voice. I can expect to have days when my mouth is sore, but the ribs and voice change seem odd and scary . I would love to hear if anyone can offer help, advice, experience
many thanks
Suzy

Stage IV tonsil cancer T3N2bM0. diagnosed in April 2010, had tonsillectomy and some of soft palate removed May. June introductory chemo (Cisplatin/5FU) followed by 6 weeks RT with 4 cycles Cisplatin from mid July to end August. early October modified radical neck dissection RHS.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lets see what the PET says. In all the years that I have been here I have found that all of us can manifest different reactions given the same or similar treatments so to err on the safe side is not something that should cause alarm. Best case is there is nothing; worst case we find something early that needs attention. Either way that's good.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

They are just making sure. I think my surgeon and I "manage each other". I go in with yet another new symptom and I will say "I know you like to be thorough" and he will reply "And I know how you worry so we might as well alleviate that concern by ____" So far this system has worked for us smile. Yes, they will check new symptoms. 99.9/100 of the things they have checked on me in the last 6 years were nothing but my overactive mind. Having said that........"we know they like to be thorough"!!!

Relax, have the tests, and never be afraid to go to your doctor with what you feel. They DO understand!

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I'm with you on this Suzy. I finished treatment on 6 sept and I still panic about everything. I think that if you have doubts about anything you should definitely voice it to your doc or discuss about it on here. I recently had a lump on my tongue that I was so sure a reoccurrence. Anyways biopsy said otherwise so hopefully the ssme goes for you.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!

Suzy, you are not alone about the panic. I finished treatment in February and I still panic. I am panicing right now. Like the other posters said, do not be afraid to let your Drs know. I know my RO and ENT have both said wheneve you are concerned call and we will see you. Better be safe than sorry. I will be calling mine first thing Monday morning. So far the last few times I have had a concern have ended up being nothing.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN