Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12017 09-01-2007 07:26 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

After reading some of the forums here I am now for the first time afraid.I have so far been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth and they found through the cat scan and a swallow test I can't remember the name of but it starts with a b, of my throat and neck another spot at the base of my tounge. I was sent back to my E.N.T Dr and he has to do a larenscopy? spelling isn't right but I spelled it like it sounds. Anyway he told me that they used to remove the tounge and voice box for what I have is that still true? And do I have to do it? God what an eye opener I am scared to death. I am stupid becuase no one in my family, meaning my mom and sister who is a full fledged nurse won't tell me what the Drs are saying. I don't catch on real quick. I thought this was going to be something they just had to scrape off boy am I stupid. Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
#12018 09-01-2007 10:45 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Brenda,

You're not stupid, don't be so hard on yourself. Waht you are is what many of us were before we were diagnosed............uneducated on the facts of Oral Cancer. You will learn as you go ant that knowledge will become a powerful tool for you.
Good luck with it all,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#12019 09-01-2007 10:56 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Brenda - I'm so glad you found us. Now, take a deep breath! This is a great place to be to get lots of information and support from some very compassionate and knowledgeable people. Has your doctor done a biopsy to be able to tell what's happening? Or mentioned what stage if it is cancer? When do you go back to your doctor? I'm not sure what could have been shown on a cat scan that starts with a "B" but maybe someone else here knows. If you go to the bottom of this page and click where it says "Oral Cancer Foundation Homepage" you will see several links. Click where it says "Diagnosis" and "Staging". This can help you in being able to ask the right questions of your doctor and also help anyone here give you some more specific help or information. There is also lots of information on the types of hospitals that are best for treating cancer like a comprehensive cancer center where several doctors get together to come up with the best treatment plan. Try not to worry (I know that's hard to do) until you find out something more specific. And stay in touch with us so we know what's happening.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#12020 09-02-2007 12:24 AM
OP Offline

It was a barrium swallow test and a cat scan. The cat scan or and the barrium swallow test show a second mass. I have to go in the hospital so the ENT can do a larenscopy that is where they put a microscope down my throat? and do anothr biopsy. I am going through the John B Amos cancer center. I have heard alot about them so I think I am in good hands. I tend to take things lightly but then when they hit me they hit hard. And it usally takes someone to point out how serious things really are. My mom says I should think that there was something else showing on the two test that I had to take already but the first viopsy showed cancer so why wouldn't the other? She wants me not to worry I know that is why she says stuff like that she's 73 so I can't blame her. Thanks for the information I will sure check it out and I do intend on coming back OFTEN. Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
#12021 09-02-2007 04:02 AM

Dear Brenda,

The John B Amos Cancer Center is a comprehensive facility which is great, your in very good hands. Try to bring a pad and pen with you to all of your appointments, that way you'll remember everything that they say and you can share with us your exacting circumstances. It also makes for a fascinating read later. We all share in this together. Some have had very similar experiences that you are facing and can help you prepare and cope. There are others who will follow in your steps and they will benefit from the shared knowledge. Besides sharing in cancer we all feel 'the fear', it is part of the new norm. You have a network of ready and able souls waiting to assist you. Stay strong, eat nutritiously and plenty, and get ready to fight. Believe in yourself, you are going to do just fine.

Frank

SCC, dx July 2006,Stage II,front third of tongue, surgery Oct 16, 2006, radical neck dissection, 20 lymph nodes removed right side negative, tongue resection,IMRT Dec.2006-Jan.2007 45X,T2N0M0, no chemo. Roswell Park Cancer Institute Buffalo, NY.
#12022 09-02-2007 04:38 AM

Brenda, you've found the right place for lots of information and support. Read up and study up on here as you can and keep us posted as you learn more from your visits. It can all be overwhelming at the start but learning more can help you overcome that feeling of helplessness.

All of us on this site were at one point exactly where you are...

Steve J

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.
#12023 09-02-2007 07:18 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Brenda: God bless you, dear. We will certainly be thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers as you begin this journey. I'm thankful that you appear to have a good support system in place with your mother and your sister.

Just remember, you are NOT alone; SO many of us have begun our trek down this dark path; now, we're all holding hands and believing together.

Try to stay strong, don't be afraid to ask questions, and read, read, read!

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members