Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello, I am unfortunately a new winner to the Oral cancer lottery. Non-smoker, moderate weekend drinker, yes HPV+. Needless to stay still bitter about the whole thing. I have many military/ college buddies who had led pretty much the same lifestyle as me and why did I end choosing the short straw!!I am a 38 year old male. I was diagnosed with T2N2Mx/ stage IVA on Mar 29th. Primary was R tonsil with 1 node involvement level II.

Had radical tonsillectomy with R neck resection at Wilmont Cancer center (Rochester, NY.) Surgery went well. This Tuesday will be 4 weeks post-op. They felt good with the surgery (negative margins and only one positive node) but the node did have focal Extracapsular extension frown so they want to do radiation to be safe.

Went to Roswell (Buffalo, NY) for 2nd opinion they said chemo (cisplatin) and radiation. Not sure what to do Wilmont says just radiation and Roswell say chemo and rads. frown so confused; I'm a Registered nurse so I have researched the side effects of both. Also I have read that HPV+ tumors respond well to tx; but not sure if that's with Rad alone or with chemo! I'm suppose to start Radiation on May 12th. Going to go to to Memorial Sloan Kettering on Friday for 3rd opinion. Not sure If I'm wasting my time; I'm sure they are going to say it's 50/50 flip a coin! frown scared and confused!
I know that the decision is ultimately up to me but would appreciate any advice!!

Charles

Charles

HPV +16 Right Tonsil SCC with 1 Right lymph node. Tonsillectomy and neck resection.

Got 33 radiation doses via tomo machine (58 gry to back of throat, 65 gry to right neck, and 56 gry to left neck) with 2 cisplatin and one carboplatin due to possible hearing loss.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Charles,

Sloan is one of the best centers in the country. I think that opinion will be an important one for you.

I did radiation only for an earlier stage cancer but after coming to these boards I did make sure that all of my doctors agreed with that decision. I was lucky because all three opinions said the same thing (I got two second opinions just as you are doing).

We only get one first shot at this disease; second shots are almost always tougher. I think you will be able to make the best decision after talking to the folks at Sloan.

Please keep us updated on what Sloan say�s. A few here have been treated there so you will probably get some great feedback.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Charles,

Let's see what Sloan says.

As you can see I was HPV+ but what you don't see is how much work I've done since my Tx to expose HPV and certainly it's male connection. My RO at Moffitt, Dr Trotti, is about to begin a trial for HPV+ SCC patients wherein he will decrease the amount of radiation from the typical 70 gy to 60 and change from Cisplatin to Carboplatin all towards trying to see if reducing our normal barbaric TX will still kill the cancer and at the same time lessen the life altering side effects.

If it were me I would probably go with the normal IMRT and go with Cisplatin but in weekly doses vs. the typical 3 intervals. There is just too much at risk to try something else IMO.

One question, why did they stage you a MX? Was there some question about distant mets? I would ask Sloan about that one.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Charles,

It was my understanding that if there was nodal involvement, chemo and rads were the standard of care. My husband did not have any positive nodes so he only had rads. All the best with your next opinion.

David,

Clark's tumor was listed as T4N0Mx. The report said no distant metastasis. I assumed that was what the Mx meant.

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
OP Offline

Hey Thanks for the response David. No it was MO I thought M0 and MX were technically the same! I saw my surgeon again today to discuss my 2nd opinion. He said that he had attended a Head and Neck conference last week and that the going trend for HPV+ is the the pendulum swinging to less aggressive approaches; he said that some surgeons across the country would even argue that since all the margins where negative and only one tonsil was positive at level II; that there is a chance that I was cancer free at this point and wouldn't even do rads and wait and save rads and chemo in case of reaccurance. But he feels and said if it was him he would do radiation and not chemo. Said he was suggesting 55-57 gry for tonsil area and 60-65 gry for right neck. The radiology oncologist wants to do low gry on the left side of neck as well but he is going to discuss that with her because he disagrees. I hope Sloan says the same thing. What were your side effects from cisplatin? Do you know anyone form this site who had really bad side effects? Thanks!

Charles

Charles

HPV +16 Right Tonsil SCC with 1 Right lymph node. Tonsillectomy and neck resection.

Got 33 radiation doses via tomo machine (58 gry to back of throat, 65 gry to right neck, and 56 gry to left neck) with 2 cisplatin and one carboplatin due to possible hearing loss.
OP Offline

Hey thanks Anita, Was your husbands tumors HPV+? I think that's where things get gray. My understanding is because the research is starting to show that HPV+ tumors respond so well; they are recommending not using combined therapy if not needed. Also from I read it was if the margins were positive?

I don't know I'm 38 and I'm a nurse so I know that every medication has side effects posted and not everyone will get the same side effects. I guess I 'll have to wait and see what Memorial Sloan says for the Tie breaker! Thanks!

Charles

Charles

OP Offline

Wanted to correct my last post plus says thank you to Kelly as well. I meant to say that the growing trend is using less dosages of chemo and radiation! I think that's the tough part is that we are treading in uncharted territory! I think in the future we will see 2 different tx approaches ones for HPV+ tumors and ones for HPV negative! If I only had a crystal ball frown! I agree I think Memorial Sloan will be the final decision maker! If only they would have warned me about this in Sex-ed and nursing school frown! Some day I'm really hard on myself trying to figure out how and when I could have gotten the HPV! I'm sooooo scared frown!!!!!! I'm too young for this crap!!

Charles

Charles

OP Offline

Hi, David I think the otehr difference is that you didn't have surgery. I think my surgeon rationale is that the surgery got out the tumor and the node? But I agree there is alot at stake; I will see what Sloan says!

Charles

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Charles, I have nothing to add! I just wanted to say "HI" because I am also in Rochester, NY (treated @ RGH Lipson Center) I loved the care, the staff-everything! I had both chemo & rad. But as you know, every case is different! Best of Luck to you!

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
OP Offline

Hi Dianne, Yeah I saw that you were from Rochester smile. I was sent to Wilmont instead of RGH from my Primary ENT. I feel confident in My team but getting conflicting info from Roswell and this site. Not sure what to do!

Charles

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics