Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Hi Shelly,

I'm new here too. It seems like our hubbies are on similar paths. What I am wondering is how you are able to get so many appointments so quickly. It sounds like you really have a plan in place and have already met the RO. We have only seen a surgeon and don't know if we should just start looking for an oncologist on our own or what. I wish we had more guidance. My hubby's ND was 1/8/10, but he had a tonsillectomy as well and is still in some pain.

Do you have any advice on how I should proceed at this point?

Thanks, and I hope all goes well for your hubby in this next phase of treatment.

Laurie

Laurie

Wife (48) to Roy (52): He is a non-smoker, non-drinker, computer business owner, country musician, Dx 11/15/09 Stg IV SCC of right tonsil, T2N2bM0, had ND and tonsillectomy 1/8/10, Port 3/11/10, Peg 3/16/10, Erbitux, 33 IMRT, finished treatment 5/5/10
LaurieGH #110668 01-19-2010 12:20 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

[quote]We have only seen a surgeon and don't know if we should just start looking for an oncologist on our own or what. I wish we had more guidance.[/quote]
Laurie --

This is why you will see so many recommendations here to get an opinion (or two, or more) from a comprehensive cancer center, or CCC. At such a facility your husband's case will be evaluated by a "tumor board" of medical professionals from a variety of specialties. They will discuss his case and come up with a treatment plan. Many CCCs have specialized head and neck cancer clinics -- and because these cancers can affect so many vital functions, it is critical to have a team of professionals who are familiar with this disease working together for the best outcome.

[quote]What I am wondering is how you are able to get so many appointments so quickly. [/quote]
In her first post on this thread Shelly said her husband was being treated at Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis, which is a CCC. This is an example of the coordination you will find at such a facility.

To learn more about CCCs, you can start here -- though be advised that this list has not been updated for a while. (The current list is here.) Another source of information is the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of about 20 of the country's leading cancer centers. It's this group that devises the annual treatment protocols used by hospitals across the country.

[Edited to add:] From your posts in another thread, I gather that your husband's surgery was at the University of Washington, which is part of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center/Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, a NCI-designated CCC and a member of the NCCN. All the support systems of a CCC should be available there, so ask your surgeon's office what your next step should be -- or, more proactively, ask when your husband's case will go before the tumor board. Sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel.

I wish you and your husband all the best.

And Shelly, who started this thread, the same to you and your husband.

Last edited by Leslie B; 01-19-2010 01:00 AM.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Leslie B #110669 01-19-2010 12:27 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Leslie thank you for the updated list, I have asked Chester to update the website this week.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #110676 01-19-2010 06:34 AM
OP Offline

Laurie - As a newby to this journey, can add only one piece of advice, and I would reiterate what Leslie said - be the squeaky wheel.
Advise: Ask the ENT/surgeon's office - if he has a good nurse, use her. As you meet with the different doctors, find that "good nurse". A good nurse is worth her weight in gold - full of information, helpful, knows the system, knows who to ask if she doesn't know the answer (and will admit when she doesn't know), and is willing to put extra effort in finding the answers.

Siteman is located adjacent to the hospital my husband was in after his ND. Our ENT referred us to the RO, who was either doing rounds at the hospital or stopped in to see him for a few minutes after the surgery. She was there only a few minutes, during which her nurse gave me phone numbers to call (the nurses) if we had any questions and told me to contact them the following Monday to set up an appointment. When I called, the other nurse scheduled Mike for a simulation/mask fitting for Feb 5th. After I read this board some more, I called her back and insisted on an appointment to discuss my husband's treatment. She tried to schedule us a little extra time on the 5th and I told her that would not work, because we only knew that he was having radiation but had too many questions to wait that long. (I wasn't rude or snotty - although I am quite capable of that if needed - I think the slight edge of hysteria in my voice convinced her.) She "squeezed" us in last week. (This same nurse told me Mike would not get a PEG because they don't like to place them until needed, but the RO said she wanted one in "just in case". At this point, this nurse does not fall into the "good" nurse column in my opinion, but I'll hold judgment for a while before I place her in the "bad" nurse column.) When we saw the RO, she gave us basic info, had her nurse get us an appointment for the MO, schedule the PEG, and moved the simulation up to the 25th.

So basically if I hadn't followed the squeaky wheel advise here, we'd be waiting until the 5th.

Looks like we are on a similar path - I hope everything goes well with your husband's treatment. I am thinking and praying for you and am here if you need me.

This board is a blessing - THANK YOU to everyone who has welcomed me and for all you have posted in the past. You all give me hope.

Shelly

Caregiver/wife to Mike, age 48 used chewing tobacco - quit
SCC BOT T2N3M0 Diagnosed Dec 29, 09 HPV+
L ND Jan 7 removed 31 nodes, 6 positive Bilat mets neck
Siteman Cancer Center
Port in Jan 27, Peg in Mar 3
IC 28 Jan & 18 Feb - TPF
CRT Cisplatin x3 start March 10th
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

LaurieGH,

My hubby had the same cancer just 1 year ago...hang in there! At times you think it will never turn out well (and OMG!) but, at this point, I can say, there are no residual effects that cannot be dealt with. He is doing sooo well, eats just about everything, has no pain, feels great, and looks great! Pain meds helped him get through the worst of it, and if he is having chemo and rads, Zofran was the best for his nausea...they increased the dosage when he needed it near the end of his treatments.

My best wishes to both of you!!!

Donna

Caregiver to Hubby,Stage IVb, SCC to left tonsil, Mets to nodes, Tonsillectomy, Cisplatin,Taxotere,5FU x 3, IMRT 33 Rads + Carbo x 6, RND 03/09--Dx NHLymphoma 04/09, CT of chest, stom, pel--all clear, 05/09 Pet--all clear, 08/09 Pet--all clear
Donna MFS #110849 01-22-2010 07:12 AM
OP Offline

So we met with the MO on Tuesday and she changed the treatment plan. Instead of starting CRT in the next two weeks, Mike is getting a port put in on Wed with IC TPF starting on Thursday. He will get this every 3 weeks X2, then get a peg placed with his mask/simulation on Feb 23rd and CRT to start soon after.
One of the things the MO said was that she could do cisplatin every 3 weeks during RAD, or she could do it weekly. She said they have no evidence that either way works better but that by getting weekly chemo instead of bigger doses every 3 weeks it might minimize the side effects. Seems to me that the weekly would make him somewhat nauseous and tired every week (all the time?) vs being very nauseous and tired with a break in between.
Any thoughts or opinions on this? Should I start a new thread somewhere else with this question?

Thanks,
Shelly

Caregiver/wife to Mike, age 48 used chewing tobacco - quit
SCC BOT T2N3M0 Diagnosed Dec 29, 09 HPV+
L ND Jan 7 removed 31 nodes, 6 positive Bilat mets neck
Siteman Cancer Center
Port in Jan 27, Peg in Mar 3
IC 28 Jan & 18 Feb - TPF
CRT Cisplatin x3 start March 10th

Hi Shelly,

While I have definitely no scientific poll on the weekly vs tri-weekly chemo it seems to me that the people on this board who received it weekly faired better. For the most part (and there are exceptions) the symptoms from either chemo or radiation don't really get bad until about week three anyway.

Personally, Bill did not even notice his first and second chemos. Nausea was not an issue...I assume because the anti-nausea drugs and hydration provided during the infusion was so good. Who knows what to blame once the cascade of symptoms starts around week three....pain, for Bill, was his worst enemy and of all crazy things...hiccups after the chemo which required thorazine to stop.

Every one reacts differently but the trend that I have noticed here is that patients seem to tolerate the weekly better.

JMHO, Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
debandbill #110871 01-22-2010 03:15 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I had the every 3 week Cisplatin regimen and the last 2 were very tough on me. Everyone back then got the standard 3 doses. Within the last year or so the weekly bags started showing up and as Deb said they seem to fare better in the side effect area. There is no conclusive evidence that I know of that points to one vs the other but Moffitt still uses the every 3 week approach.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #110875 01-22-2010 05:32 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Shelly:

I had a similiar diag. I like David had the every 3 week approach. Compared to many I had an easy time however last few weeks were tough although most of the issues I had were from Rad. I did have a bit of hearing loss. They did do a 3 day "flush" after each chemo treatment, Nausea was not an issue.
I was able to do the 180 mile round trip myself until the last week or so of treatments. 2 yrs out I have almost no issues, feel great so your husband can beat this thing.

Bill Van Horn-53 ex-smoker, social drinker, Biopsy 8/24, Diagnosed 8/30/07 BOT T2N2-B MX Stage IV. Started treatments 10/1/07. IMRT 35 x, Cisplatin - 3 cycles - completed treatment 11/16/07. CT Scans on 1/15/08 all clear Selective neck dissection 1/28/08. All nodes clear.
bill in nc #110907 01-24-2010 07:06 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Shelly and welcome to OCF. Your first post had me laughing when you said you would sit on your hubby to get him to drink and get nutrition..lol I love you see a good sense of humor because you need one. You sound like an awesome caregiver...taking charge and getting things done. That is a huge help to us patients. I have not had radiation or chemo so I can't comment on that. However, I'm happy to see you took the step for anxiety/depression meds. I didn't take that step until I had a panic attack in the board room with all higher ups at work. Opps!! It helped me a lot.

I wish you and your husband much luck in your journey. And I am here to listen to you vent or anything else I can do.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics