Suzanne,
I know that I felt some anxiety when it was time to wean off of the pain meds because, quite frankly, I didn't know what to expect. It was more about the pain returning then the fear of withdrawal or addiction. Anti-anxiety meds are also addictive and require a phase out as well when it's time to quit them.

My MIL has has RLS and there are medications for that. More than likely your RLS is more of a mild symptom of withdrawal, especially if you didn't have it before your Tx.

Withdrawal, even a long phase out will have 2-3 days that you will feel a little shaky and unsettled and that is normal (a mild withdrawal should feel like taking in too much caffiene on an empty stomach). Remember that it is only for a few days, then you'll be done with it. Be sure that you discuss this with your doctor and the two of you should agree to a phase out plan.

Tramadol may be a non narcotic ("narcotic like") but it must be treated as one and has the same contraindications, risks and dangers. Many narcotics on the market today are synthetic and do not contain organic opiates (derived from Opium poppies from "morphine base"), like Morphine Sulphate or Codiene. Fentanyl is a sysnthetic narcotic.

In the words of FDR "There is nothing to fear but fear itself".

Last edited by Gary; 06-27-2009 08:52 AM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)