On the whole Rob dealt brilliantly with medication,but when his patch was running dry he started with sweats and shaking until the last few weeks when his pain was not being controlled by the fentanyl,and he started to use too much liquid morphine.He then suffered a serious episode of Morphine psychosis.That was the scariest thing i have seen since i did my secondment in a secure hospital 30 years ago.About three weeks post tx he tried to reduce his pain medication himself,and he was in a right state with shaking, sweating,tachycardia,hallucinations .When he was on the drugs i dont think either of us was fully aware that his body had become dependant and he never did get off the patches until he was in hospice and had nowhere left on his body they could be stuck!!by then he was on 300mcgs, but they stopped him dead and just put a syringe driver in place which was loaded with such a huge dose of opiates that he never had a problem with the withdrawal of the fentanyl.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.