Hi Jim,
I don't know about the Moffit (ocean seperating us from where you are). We ended up going for IMRT radiation, it seemed the most comprehensive we were given a choice but as Martin's SCC was of unknow primary it seemed the best course of action to radiate everywhere just in case.
As for exercises, I think the best is to ask your doctor and he will have the best exercises for you. I do scar massage for martin every day and muscle massage with E45 cream. I need to massage in little circles never ever massage up, always circles.
As we moved house 2 weeks post tx, and the house was a throw back from the 60s were a 96 year old lady had lived it needed a lot of work done (and still does). Martin has been working on the house a couple of hours a day, tiling, plastering... And his physio is very impressed with his range of movement, he has exercises that she gave him, but she said carry on what you are doing.
If you go for TX make sure that as soon as you feel up to it, you go for walks, it will help with the cardio vascular.
Whatever the next course of treatment is, good luck
Cecilia

Girlfriend to Martin 49 years old at diagnosis
Diagnosed with SCC unknown primary June 2008.
Cancer found in single node Stage N2A (3 to 6cm).
Tonsilectomy 16th june, Radical modified neck dissection left side 30th june.
30 TX radiotherapy ended 9th October
First comparative study scan came back clear