I have regrets that I didn't push hard enough for a peg and a port for my husband. Towards the end of treatment, they had trouble finding good veins (so he was often a human pin cushion)...and, he came w/in 2 pounds post treatment of medically needing a peg.

We struggled daily to get his medications down along with any form of nutrition. One week following treatment, his only fluid was from an IV. Once a tube becomes medically necessary, the patient is already in bad shape that the simple procedure is more complicated.

It's my understanding that it is not advisable to drink alcohol through treatment. There's a separate debate about post treatment drinking. My husband does have an occasional beer. But, he never drank during treatment...and, because his taste was compromised, I don't think he drank for a year after treatment.

I hope your first day went well. Usually, the first couple of weeks aren't too bad. And, we certainly hope you are one of the lucky ones who makes it through easily!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.