I found this thread when I did a search for botox injections. I just read an article from the otolaryngology dept of the university of iowa about the use of botox into the SCM muscle to alleviate spasms due to late effects of radiation. I thought I had struck gold, but now I'm not so sure. I have been having progressive pain in my neck for a while now, but i'm not sure if they are spasms. It is very tender, almost like trigger points, but my neck does not twitch. my trapezius at the base of my skull is super tender as well as where the neck and shoulder meet. This is all on the opposite side of my disection, although i was radiated there. Ive been to neurologist and had an mri done of my neck. the mri states i have some mild bulging in c4 through c6, some neural encroachment etc. everything is mild and the dr suggested elevil, which i found out is an antidepressant used for nerve pain. i've asked my mo for pain meds throughout the last several months, and he basically refused. these are the docs who only prescribed me liquid vicodin during the worst part of treatment. I guess i didnt complain enough. eek well i'm certainly making up for it now, but no luck on the meds. i take .25mg xanax from time to time and raid my medicine cabinet for old pain meds(i've been taking a 1/2 a darvocet every other day, but just took my last one last night). i contacted a pain management center at a local hospital and asked about botox injections and the woman had no idea what i was talking about cry. does anyone know where i can inquire about this? also, Gary, do you take the valium and vicodin at the same time and can you function on that? Also, my left throat, tongue, sinus and ear have continued to hurt(just a dull ache/pressure), pretty constant now. they assure me it isnt a recurrence. could that be a muscle spasm as well? i've read about glossopharyngeal and trigeminal neuralgia however my pain in not sharp and severe, so maybe atypical? Lastly(i promise), i read a study on a drug combination of pentoxifylline and vitamin e for radiation induced fibrosis. anyone ever hear of it? sorry so long, i seem to be my own advocate these days. thanks.

Kelley

SCC tonsil(left) with contralateral mets. Modified right neck disection August, 2002. 33 rads(62 gy)both sides of neck and 3 cycles cisplatin completed October 25, 2002. 34 yo at time of diagnosis