What a great topic. I have spasms that I now know are called fasciculations. The muscles on the left side of my neck, the big ones in the back of the head, the left shoulder all twitch as many as hundreds of times per minute. After going through PT that only made it 100 times worse, I found a neurologist that has conducted numerous studies on post-radiation issues and many people 10 years out from radiation develop a syndrome that he has discovered. I was just lucky because it happened so soon, I guess. I had an EMG and then another test where they stick a needle into the neck and all the spasm areas, even the tongue from under the chin with a sonagram type noise when the muscle fires. I have tried the standard drugs, Neurontin, Gabapentin, etc., but nothing has worked and likely will work.

I took Gary's advice long ago and a valium/vicodin at bed time keeps my neck from flopping off the pillow and allows me to sleep without the dog and wife complaining about me not laying still!

A good night's sleep keeps the spasms down most of the day so I do not medicate until after work.

I still get massive spasms that create a fist sized ball in my neck sometimes but they massage out and only last for seconds.

I would be glad to offer the study if anyone is interested.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021