Hi Dianne
Can you tell us when you saw your surgeon, Dr. Fung, was it at his clinic or did you meet the whole Head & Neck team at the Cancer Centre? Did you get a folder filled with information that the Cancer Centre gives to new clients when they register at the Centre? If so you should have lots of contact numbers to call, and yes, they will call you back. I know Dr. Fung has a Nurse Clinician working with him and she always responded promptly to voice mail or pager messages. I know she would be happy to answer all your questions. A well informed patient is a more relaxed patient and in the best position to work with their treatment team.
My husband recovered very quickly from his surgery, with no residual pain and was out of hospital in 1 week. Post surgery you will be in a special 4 bed observation room with 1 nurse per patient for your most acute phase post operatively and then 1 nurse per 2 patients as you are more stable. You will also have a pain pump for the first couple of days i.e. you push the button as you need it and you are admisistered the pain medication through your intravenous line. You will receive excellent care, rest assured.
Make a list of all your questions before you call or see the nurse, and of course ask all the other ones that come to your mind as you are talking to her. Good luck.

Caregiver to husband Dx. Stage 4 SCC of gingiva with 3 nodes pos. Partial mandiblectomy with bone graft from iliac crest Dec. 2006. IMRT x30, Cisplatin x3. Completed Tx. March 15, 2007. Osteonecrosis & removal of graft & plate Oct. 2007. Recurrence of SCC Dec. 2007. Deceased Jan. 17, 2008.