David. 50-80 exposure is true (CDC estimate) but how many of those are a high risk version ( potentially malignancy producing) of HPV is unknown, and more unknown is how many of those with a high risk versions will actually get a malignancy.

The re quote of the vast majority of all oral HPV tumors being version 16 is accurate.

While I talk with Gillison often, others interactions with her are up to them to make the contact, and up to her to accept.... so if you feel moved to say thanks please give it a try. Overall I can tell you that she travels a lot, and even when at JH is extremely busy. Even getting her on the phone can take persistence. There are also issues with her dialog with people that are not her patients or potential patients. JH is pretty strict in their policies. But as with all things in life, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you want to get an email to her I would be pleased to forward it, but she is unlikely to reply if it is full of questions.

Immune system blinks. People, based on genetic history, are either predisposed to be protected from or susceptible to things, getting a cancer for instance. My genetic predisposition to getting HPV16 was likely ingrained in me (my inherited genome) long before I was exposed, and not a on/off issue with my immune system. For those interested in this, I highly recommend a very digestible and enjoyable book called Survival of the Sickest (use the OCF Amazon link to order an inexpensive copy for yourself, and help OCF out). It is a fact that with age the immune system does become progressively incompetent, but that is another issue. OCF Amazon Link

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.