There is no oral test right now though one is in progress for availability hopefully through the FDA in late 2009. OCF is working with Digene (actually their parent company in Germany Qiagen) Even with this test which will look for high risk versions of the virus, 16,18,31,33,35.... it does not mean you will develop cancer if you get a high risk version from the 120+ possible versions that we know of out there. Many people's immune systems deal with this quite successfully, and you may be one of those.

Women can get a test when they get their pap smear, which is essentially brush cytology, and a second test for HPV done on the same sample, and the CDC is recommending it. But for guys, there is no test availble in the near future. When Daivid of all people says someone else is obsessing over this, he is usually right. I would listen to him.

Lastly, not to hijack the thread, David if you want to call me on the phone I have some HPV information that I cannot release to the public yet from a study that OCF sponsored with Gillison at Hopkins that the results of will interest you, and keep you up to speed. It will be in a major cancer journal in the next 3 months or so and everyone will know this, but I know what this information means to you.

By the by, the thinking among some prominent HPV researchers now is that even more casual contact can transfer the virus to the oral environment, so oral sex may not be as big a story in the future as it has been.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.