Hi Guys,
I hate July 2nd. It just isn't my day. Both my cancers were diagnosed on July 2nd 4 years apart. Normally I hide under a rock on that date but forgot to yesterday. So the phone rings yesterday and its the vascular doctor. My right carotid is 95% blocked and both my legs have severe arterial blockage. He says we have to balloon and stent all three. At least it not cancer.

I don't think I have any choice in this. I have no symptoms on the carotid but am having extreme difficulty walking any further than a couple of blocks starting last fall and it is getting worse. My legs just tire and ache and I can go no further. They think that the carotid is due to radiation. I have no clue as to why the legs are blocked because my cholesterol is normal on meds and my HDL is very high. I did start taking zetia in addition to Pravachol about two years ago and it lowered LDL. I've heard some controvery over this drug recently but don't know if related.

Anyway, I'm scared to death of both of these surgeries. My uncle died within a month of having his carotid done. Does anyone know anyone who has had this done? Any problems? What questions should I be asking this surgeon?

I was hoping to get all three surgeries done at once so only one recouperating time, but now thinking twice about that. You are awake when they do this and I think the neck is 2-3 hours. If it is the same legs, I don't think I could do an awake surgery for 6-9 hours without having a heart attack. I had a rhinoplasty years ago and let me tell you, awake surgical procedures are no fun.

My appt to discuss the surgery is Tues the 8th. I expect the carotid surgery to be the follwing week. I would appreciate any info anyone can give me about the balloon and stenting and problems people had after it. I did ask the surgeon about the problems with the stents that Brian mentioned and he said that was heart stents, not carotid which are different.

Everyone have a wonderful 4th of July or summer weekend if not in US and thanks for your help.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I