Ron,

Where are you being seen?

Before you let someone do a neck dissection if I were you, I would get a 2nd opinion.

Are/were you a smoker?

I know the cancer word is scary to say the least but you need to learn as much as you can right now BEFORE you decide on the best treatment plan for you and there is plenty of information exactly on point to be read on this site. Most of us here had SCC and it is very treatable but there are many different ways doctors out there approach the way they think is the best way to treat us. I saw 5 different cancer docs and got 5 different treatment plans and was given from a 60% 5 year survival chance with surgery to a 90% chance without surgery. The 90% survival chance was also by a Comprehensive Cancer Center, (CCC) which is who I decided to let treat me. For a list see http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm . Please visit the OFC Main Site Above and discover a wealth of useful information to arm yourself with. Knowledge is a very powerful tool to have in your corner when fighting for you life.

Ask us all the questions you may have, however trivial you may think they are. That's why this site is here.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.