Michele,

I did not mean to imply that your husband will feel worse after the end of the treatments. We belong to a local H/N cancer support group and we were happy to hear from some of the group members that they were able to go through chemoradiation and also managed to work at the same time. They also experienced few if any side effects during and or following the treatments.

Your right about the doctors. In our case the ENT other than saying that the last two weeks of radiation "would catch our attention" he never really said anything about the possible post-treatment health issue because he did not want to scare us away I believe. Likewise our Radiation Oncologist really did not go into issues relating to general patient health following the trteatments. I believe that their approach is to present a viewpoint that makes the treatments seem relatively easy to tolerate. We also got this viewpoint from our Chemo doctor.

In retrospect I feel that they may doing the right thing. If they were to present a different viewpoint that may scare some patients away and would then be doing a dis-service to them.
The doctors' objective is to restore the patient back to health. And I feel that they see some of these health effects (such as nausea and vomiting) as transitory which disapper wih time and they are not to overly concerned with them. For the patient though they more than an annoyance.

Finding the causea of the nausea seems near impossible. But there is a positive outlook in that it will go away with time.

Our ENT keeps telling us "it takes time". He does not say how much time because that is hard to predict. But he seems right from the experiences shared from forum members.

Vince

CG to wife;
Jan 2005 DX SCC Tongue T2N1MO; RND surgery Mar 2005; 35 XRT and 4 cisplatin completed Jul 2005.
Dec 2006 tongue surgery, Scar tissue no cancer.
Feb 2010 neck node FNA - negative.
2010 ORN right jaw plus fracture
2015 ORN left jaw plus fracture
Feb 2016 Lower jaw reconstruction by Fibula free flap+titanium plate - Permanent G-tube
June 2016 Difficulty breathing - Permanent Trachea tube
Dec 2019 DX Cervical cancer - Stage 1 - Surgery Jan 16 2020.
15-20 esophagus/larynx dilations