Mark,
I can't help it, but when you talk about the intolerance toward alcohol from those around you, (which by the way I don't see...the opposite it seems is true...people are always offering me drinks and surprised that I barely drink at all) your arguments have a similar ring to those made by smokers who are mad about the restrictions that society is finally ( at least in the U.S. ) placing upon them. Smokers do piss me off. They can blow smoke in my face when I walk into a building or totally pollute a bar or locker room, and then complain when a little old city ordinance kicks them outside. Hell I'm fighthing for my life, I think, and you are sitting there sucking down those awful things and making me, the self righteous cancer survivor have to breathe it as well.

However,I have no axe to grind with alcohol.(although it did piss me off when my ex just had to have a couple every night ). If it made me feel as good as it does you, I would drink the stuff myself. For me it has always been a kind of depressant. It must be my Jewish genes or something...the stuff just does not agree with me. However there was a period during my recovery where I learned to really like my vicodin. Fortunately I never got hooked on that stuff.

Interesting thread from all you intellectuals.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.