Jen,

Here are some opinions from a dentist:

The best source for a new dentist is a referral from a satisfied patient. Because of your special needs, as an oral cancer survivior, your best bet is to check with patients that also go to the same CCC that you go to. The center itself may not do referrals, but they may be able to get you in touch with other patients, if you don't know any of the other patients.

The yellow pages and referral services probably never address the needs of the cancer survivor and only present those things that the dentists pay to have listed.

Your ENT, or any ENT, if you don't have one, may also be a good source of referral.

As far as your present dentists are concerned, it is unconscionable that you cannot reach them. A sure sign that you need a new dentist, anyway.

Dentists are not taught in school about the special needs of cancer patients. They must learn on their own and honestly, most don't.

Good luck and if there is anything you think I can do for you, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I wwill do my best.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"