Rebecca,
I can't believe this -- I live in PODUNK, TEXAS, too, and we've NEVER MET!!! Actually I live in the Texas Panhandle and our commute to Houston was 8 hours, but worth every minute. If we had only gone as soon as my brother was diagnosed. Like your husband, my brother didn't tell any of us about his sore until 8 MONTHS after it first appeared! Then he went to the doctors in the nearest large city. Big mistake. We should have headed for Houston right off. Anyway, 8 months later (seems to be a pattern, there) he was undergoing the surgery you described above at MD Anderson. Unfortunately, for us, the cancer struck back with a vengance following the surgery and claimed him by June. BUT, what I'm writing to tell you about is the Texas Insurance Pool. It is through Blue Cross, Blue Sheild and they say NO ONE can be turned down. Of course, I have no idea what your rate would be, considering the diagnosis. We were fortunate that David had a wonderful insurance plan that covered so much of his expense. Of course, I think the docs in the first hospital took advantage of that and just wrote him off from the get go and decided to see how much money they could collect - don't even get me started.
Anyway, Southwest Airlines will also help with free round trip tickets for the cancer patient and one care giver. Seems like they provided trips 3 different times for David, then provided them at a reduced rate. Check with the American Cancer Society. They often offer free lodging, though you need to let them know ahead of time. Some churches also have free housing available near the hospitals. Talk to the caseworker MD Anderson assigned you. They can help find these resources. Other than that, don't worry. The main thing is to get your husband the best treatment you can and know you are doing all you can do. Of course, it does help when the patient helps out a little, but, as hard as David's diagnosis, radiation, surgery and inability to talk or eat was on us, I can't imagine how hard it was for him to deal. (He will always be my hero.)
As for the forum, I could never get my brother on here, either (He was a tough guy, too, a toolpusher in the oilfield). So, I would print out the information I received here on his behalf and all the wonderful wishes and words of encouragment and give them to him to read. He was a very quite and private person and it was hard enough to get him to express his feelings to us, let alone in a forum situation, no matter HOW wonderful I told him everyone was. You may have to be your fiance's strength right now. I know it is hard - I've been there - but we Texan gals can do it!
Love you,
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.