Hi Andrea
having been where you are just a short time ago,i just want to say dont be afraid to ask me any questions that you like no matter how dark.My e-mail address is in my profile and i am in the UK as well so only a phone call away.

Please take advantage of the superb palliative care teams available (Macmillan services)it really is a whole 24/7 family support and not just patient care.The one thing they are superb at is pain control and provide a huge shoulder to cry on for you and other family members.

When the pain starts to get bad a short stay in a hospice facility to get a pain management regime established will be invaluable and supportive,and usually only requires a few days .

Dont leave these things Andrea,get everything in place now so it will kick in a soon as you need it.
Where abouts in the UK are you situated?

One thing i would like to say is listen to your Mum.This is about what she wants now and how she wants to do it.There will be times you want to shout and scream things like "dont give up" or you may wonder why she doesn't want to fight it anymore or doesnt want to see people or to eat anything or sometimes even speak to people.

Take some time now while things are still ok to find out exactly how she wants to do this and then respect her decisions and assure her you will follow them to the letter,no matter how hard that is for you.She will have a more peaceful and calm few months if she can relax and trust that you will do as she asks.

When all that is done ,savour every moment because for a while these next weeks and months will become your most precious memories and will have to sustain you through some very dark days after she is at peace.

love and strength

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.