The subject has been talked about before but, for the same reasons as you felt, we probably just barely scratched the surface. (try the search function)

It would be my opinion, that if such conversations about sex were common in your relationship before cancer (BC) then a frank discussion would be fair. Otherwise you should approach the subject with caution. As I mentioned before, his mind is probably awash in fear, anxiety, pain, never-ending questions, and questions about the end. The hormones that normally are present and cause a sex drive, are perhaps suppressed by a body that has been in a terrible fight. A slow and fun approach will work eventually, keep it low key and low stress.

I believe that a healthy sex life and the benefits of physical intimacy are important in overall health and perhaps healing. In other posts I have mentioned that walking increased my overall feeling of recovery and return to health. Intimacy also helped with an overall feeling of improving health.

You have my permission to tell him that

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.