Doeborah,
They call us "patients" for a reason. Although I am one of the most impatient people around,I learned to be very patient during my recovery. First of all, the worst time for me was when treatment just ended. No more going to the hospital and being pro-active every day. I was at home with nothing to look forward to but my next tube feeding, and I got very depressed. However, by taking a walk every day, having a friend or relative stop by, and running a few simple errands each day, things began to turn around quickly.
The recovery process was slow...slower than the doctors had predicted. I was still on the pain patches for a few months, relied completely on the PEG tube for nutrition, and kept it for another 10 months, continued with swallowing problems and even had my espohagus diltated 2 or 3 times.
But, slowly, things began to improve. I began to be able to swallow ( although I lived mostly on soups and milkshakes and Boost for a couple of years ) and now...here I am: back to my normal weight, able to eat almost anything...even popcorn and pizza, able to make appearances in court and even try jury trials, snow ski, exercise, play golf as much as I want, etc. Life is really good. But for this bottle of water that I carry everywhere I go, and my need to avoid spicy foods that still burn, I am just about like everyone else.

Keep the faith...for most of us, things slowly improve and life gets so much better.
Best of luck....

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.