Hi All-

Sorry I haven't posted since I asked for help in finding temporary housing in Los Angeles. Don, my husband, was going to begin radiation to his lungs after they discovered mets from his tonsil cancer.

These past 6 months have been horrible. In November we found out that the tonsil cancer that they "assured" us was completely gone had mets to Don's lungs...and in addition to that he also has AML (acute leukemia). He was eventually transferred to Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles where they were able to put his AML into remission. They were testing for bone marrow transplant when they discovered a mets to his brain and he had to have brain surgery & radiosurgery (radiation). After that they discovered that the mets to the lungs needed to be treated before any bone marrow transplant could occur. The week before radiation was to begin they found another tumor that made radiation no longer an option. He began chemo for the chest/lungs at the end of February and ended last week.

This past Monday they did a CT scan to ascertain if the chemo had reduced the tumors in the chest/lungs and discovered it did absolutely nothing. In addition they found that the tonsil cancer has now moved to Don's bones and liver. They will be starting pallpative radiation therapy to reduce the bone pain and prevent fracture this coming up Monday for 2 weeks. During that time they will be looking for another chemo that might prolong his life...but they are saying they can no longer say "cure". They are giving Don "months". When Don asked "Do I have a year?" they said "no".

As you all can imagine our lives are completely unside down. We went from celebrating 2 years cancer free on Oct. 21, 2005 to his only having months to live. I don't want to give up! I am hoping that any of you that have had or know of someone that has had mets this extensive can refer us to somewhere that might help. The hardest thing is that not only does he have SCC he also has leukemia. I am reading a book on natural cure for advanced cancers, has anyone read it? Does anyone know if it has been successful? In the book they recommend removing all teeth with metal or plastic in or on them...Don has so much that he'd have to have all his teeth removed. I don't think that is an option because of the risk of infection...with the AML his white blood cells don't work like normal.

I'm at my ropes end...help.

Lorie

Lorie/wife of Don, DX:8-7-03, Tonsil cancer left side stage III, IMRT x 35, 6 chemo (Cisplatin/Taxol), clear CT Scan 12-26-2003. Mets to both lungs & AML 11-6-05, mets to brain Jan 2006, mets to liver & bones April 2006, passed away July 20, 2006.