Cindy,

Be sure and share the feelings (you just shared with us) with Harry. Let him know it broke your heart to see him strapped down in his mask awaiting his treatment. Let him know how proud you are of him battling this horrible disease. Let him know how much you love him and how you will stand by him no matter what. Pump him up and he will build a little enthusiasm and energy. It's the little things that we remember the most through this.

For example, I remember stumbling in with my barf bucket in one hand and my water bottle in the other. I was racing to the bathroom only to have the rad center worker hanging out in the toilet reading the paper. I stumbled in several times and when I didn't know for sure which end would explode first, I ordered my wife to stand guard and I bolted into the lady's room. That was a first for me but sometimes you just do what you gotta do!! The best part of it is being able to laugh about it now. I am sure you don't see a lot of the humorous side right now but those days will come too.

Your job is one of the toughest. To have to sit back, lurking in the shadows while the entire team spends all their time on Harry. Take a few minutes for yourself every chance you get.

Hang in there.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021