Kellie-

I know EXACTLY what you are going through and it is very tough to watch, not to mention scary. My husband was the same as your sister and couldn't take anything by mouth around the same time as your sister. The others are right...try something to keep her swallowing, and your doctor is right that thicker things are easier to swallow. My husband didn't do this and when he tried to eat and drink a few months after treatment he was aspirating and choking...the swallowing muscles wouldn't work. At one point the doctor thought there may have been nerve damage to the nerves that work these muscles and told us that the feeding tube may have to be a lifetime thing...that was very scary. Fortunately he just kept trying and trying and now is able to eat and drink...though he still needs to have things with loads of sauce and fluids. If you can prevent this it would save a lot of pain and heartache later on.

Let your sister know that EVERYTHING she is going through is "normal" for the treatments she is receiving. I know it helped my husband to know that it "wasn't just him". Sometimes there is a calming effect just knowing you aren't the only one who has ever gone through this and that there is hope at the end of road. Like Gary said, the get together in Vegas really helped us all to realize how much hope there really is for everyone going through this. It was wonderful and inspirational to see so many wonderful survivors who are living such wonderfully happy & fulfilling lives.

One handy hint for the phelm in the throat. Have your pharmacy order you Ulcerease. It is an antiseptic oral rinse that helps ease the pain of the mouth sores while at the same time cutting through the gunk in the throat, making it easier to spit out. My husband used this stuff constantly during and immediately after treatment and still uses it to help ease the dry mouth and refresh his mouth. I had to have them order it special...it was referred by the radiation oncologist...I couldn't find it on the shelves of any stores I went to even though it is an over the counter medication.

Hang in there...and if you feel like venting you can always send me a private email. We caregivers have to stick together, and we know each other's pain.

You are in my prayers...give your sister and mom a hug from me.

Lorie/wife of Don, DX:8-7-03, Tonsil cancer left side stage III, IMRT x 35, 6 chemo (Cisplatin/Taxol), clear CT Scan 12-26-2003. Mets to both lungs & AML 11-6-05, mets to brain Jan 2006, mets to liver & bones April 2006, passed away July 20, 2006.